Third Task

Spring came and left quickly, making room for summer, which sprang on rather even quicker. I had managed to uplift my mood by a little, but as the time for summer break crept upon us I felt a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'll have to return to my home one last time to take everything I want with me and settle in with the Weasleys, and my parents wouldn't be there to greet me. I felt myself ache at the thought of not coming home to my mothers warm hugs, or my the smell of fathers coffee and old books. They won't ever interrogate me about my grades and accomplishments like they usually did when I came home, and I'll never hear my mom's voice beam with pride while talking about me to her friends. Of course, not wanting to break Fred's excitement for the summer I didn't voice these concerns to him, but I knew he knew what I was feeling. I could feel it in every warm touch, and in every comforting look he gave me.

Fred and George tried to hang around me studying and much as possible, but I told them they didn't have to, so they spent a lot of time with Lee Jordan. Fred still came by to check on me every chance he could.

I buried my nose in my studies as much as possible, feeling as they provided a good distraction, but this distraction soon turned unhealthy as I lost more and more sleep pouring over textbooks at the speed that could rival Hermione. If my grades were amazing before, they now skyrocketed, if that was even possible of them. McGonagall often shot me kind smiles whenever I passed her, and I in turn would try my best to give her small smiles back.

"Ladies and gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch field for the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium now." Dumbledore's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

Today was the final task of the Tri-Wizard tournament. Harry stood up and accompanies Fleur, Krum, and Cedric out of the dining hall.

"Who do you reckon will win?" Fred asked, draping his arm around me.

"I don't know Freddie, you tell me." I giggle, gently tapping his nose.

"Harry, I mean he's beaten you know who multiple times, what's a small wizarding competition to him?" Fred replied giddily.

After five minutes we began walking toward the stadium; the air was full of excited voices and the rumbling of feet as the hundreds of students filed into their seats. The sky was a deep, clear blue now, and the first stars were starting to appear. Hagrid, Professor Moody, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick came walking into the stadium and approached Bagman and the champions. They were wearing large, red, luminous stars on their hats, all except Hagrid, who had his on the back of his moleskin vest.

Fred and I nestled into front row seats, with the rest of the Weasley family sitting down right next to us.

"You look amazing by the way." Fred whispered in my ear, making me blush.

I looked down at my outfit. It wasn't anything extraordinary, just a button down shirt and shorts, but nonetheless, his compliment seemed sincere. I blushed, but before I could say anything else the announcers loud voice came over the speakers.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in first place, with eighty-five points each - Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!" The cheers and applause sent birds from the Forbidden Forest fluttering into the darkening sky. "In second place, with eighty points - Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!" More applause. "And in third place - Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!"

I snaked my arm around Fred's waist, and press my cheek to his chest, observing the champions.

"So...on my whistle, Harry and Cedric!" said Bagman. "Three - two - one -"