Fred and George's Escape

"We've successfully purchased a location for our joke shop!" Fred pulled me into a tight hug.

"Oh Freddie, thats wonderful!" I wrap my arms around his waist and bury my head in his shoulder.

"Y/n, George and I might drop out." He chuckled in my ear. "After wreaking some havoc of course. Umbitch deserves some hell."

"Oh Freddie..." I whispered, "It would be so lonely without you."

"Look on the bright side, by the time you're out of Hogwarts, I'll find us a flat for you to move in with me."

"Oh that sounds wonderful." I nodded, pressing closer to him.

~~~~
BOOM!

The very floor of the great hall shook. I quickly ran over to the hallway to see what had occurred. It wasn't hard to find the source of the explosion. Someone, who I knew to be Fred and George, set off an enormous crate of enchanted fireworks.

Dragons comprised entirely of green and gold sparks were soaring up and down the corridors, emitting loud fiery blasts and bangs as they went; shocking-pink Catherine wheels five feet in diameter were whizzing lethally through the air like so many flying saucers; rockets with long tails of brilliant silver stars were ricocheting off the walls; sparklers were writing swear words in midair of their own accord; firecrackers were exploding like mines everywhere I looked, and instead of burning themselves out, fading from sight or fizzling to a halt, these pyrotechnical miracles seemed to be gaining in energy and momentum the longer he watched.

Filch and Umbridge were standing, apparently transfixed in horror, halfway up the stairs. As I watched, one of the larger Catherine wheels seemed to decide that what it needed was more room to manoeuvre; it whirled towards Umbridge and Filch with a sinister 'wheeeeeeeeee'. They both yelled with fright and ducked, and it soared straight out of the window behind them and off across the grounds. Meanwhile, several of the dragons and a large purple bat that was smoking ominously took advantage of the open door at the end of the corridor to escape towards the second floor.

"Hurry, Filch, hurry!" shrieked Umbridge, "they'll be all over the school unless we do something--Stupefy!"

A jet of red light shot out of the end of her wand and hit one of the rockets. Instead of freezing in midair, it exploded with such force that it blasted a hole in a painting of a soppy-looking witch in the middle of a meadow; she ran for it just in time, reappearing seconds later squashed into the next painting, where a couple of wizards playing cards stood up hastily to make room for her.

"Don't Stun them, Filch!" shouted Umbridge angrily, for all the world as though it had been his incantation.

"Right you are, Headmistress!" wheezed Filch, who as a Squib could no more have Stunned the fireworks than swallowed them. He dashed to a nearby cupboard, pulled out a broom and began swatting at the fireworks in midair; within seconds the head of the broom was ablaze.

I had seen enough; laughing, I ducked down low, ran to a door I knew was concealed behind a tapestry a little way along the corridor and slipped through it to find Fred and George hiding just behind it, listening to Umbridge and Filch's yells and quaking with suppressed mirth.

"Used up your entire stock did you?" I giggled. "Oh you should've seen the look on Umbridge's face!"

"Cheers," whispered George, wiping tears of laughter from his face. "Oh, I hope she tries Vanishing them next ... they multiply by ten every time you try."

~~~~

The fireworks continued to burn and to spread all over the school that afternoon. Though they caused plenty of disruption, particularly the firecrackers, the other teachers didn't seem to mind them very much.