The Lock on The Floor

For: Mystery's Halloween Vault 3D , #HorrorIn3D #Horror #HalloweenVault3D

It was the unusual dark and dim night. After having about 20 or so Trick or Treaters I decide to shut off the lights. But I had only a lamp near me, as I picked up one of my dusty, old and tattered  book. I did my cleaning day before yesterday and found that I had a book from my school library, I had foolishly forgot to return. 

Seeing that old book brought a smile so wide and my eyes nearly filled with water. I felt the book with my trembling hand. So much memories I had. My heart was bursting to and fro. Mind was stuck on past. For a man of 40 this was a treasure!. I had completely lost my myself into the golden memories of my childhood. I began to open the book when,

DING! DONG!

The doorbell rang, my brain jerked back to reality. Oh! what a cruel kid this must be to interrupt an old man's thoughts. I kept the book aside to attend to the naughty kid. I opened the door, but there was no one. . I noticed the street lamp flicker, leaves rustled. The garden too was silent as if air itself had gone to a lullaby sleep. There was nobody. Suddenly the street lamp flickered. The electricity zapping. I looked at it and with a last zap it went out. As if wind was disturbed, it gave a gush. Brrr. . . I began to retreat when I felt something under my feet. The house was dark, I bend down and felt it with my hands. It was. . .. I picked it up. They, were hair. A lock of them.

My mind had begun the quest for searching the answers, while my heart began to beat in my ears. Who's were these? 

A sudden wind rushed and hit me. I was knocked back, out of the house!. The wind came from my house. I put back my fallen glasses to make out the dis-mangled, deranged body of a woman standing inside my house. 

" Who are you? what are you doing in my house? " I said.

" I came from that shore, where poe had found his lenore " she said,

The voice was a familiar one! It struck me like lighting in my mind. My eyes strained, ears began to ring, my fists clenched. 

" Betty " I said angrily,

" Come down and down towards the door, I will put you in forever more " she said.

" Look I don't know what Jeremy did with you. He only said to pick you up. " I said, 

Oh my poor heart had failed to recognise the familiar Betty Putman. The silly old girl, who had no business to poke in the boys locker to find Jeremy kissing Mary. Then she had confronted them and said boldly that both of them are ' in for it '. Hardly that qualified as an act against school rule but still it wasn't allowed. Jeremy had put all of his veto power upon 15 year old me to ask Betty on a ride. I did as I was asked to do. I dropped Betty and ran away. Then again I swear to heaven I don't know what happened after.

" You left me there " she said, it was a very peculiar voice. Half-man, half-woman and half-child. 

My adrenalin kicked me as I dashed inside. Why In? I don't know, something made me. The door closed. The jumped for the stairs in rush of hurry but Betty grabbed my arm. Nails digging deep in my skin. I clutched her fists then again she took my hand and put it on her chest. For the first time I saw those empty holes. Dark, like black hole. My hands touched her bosom and to my mind bending surprise, there was no heartbeat!

" Please, have mercy please " I pleaded. 

" I came from that shore, where poe had found his lenore " she repeated in the demonic voice. She jerked my hand and I fell on the ground. I could feel dragging but I couldn't protest.

Then, when I opened my eyes. I was in a small space. I thrusted my hand up but it was shorter than that. I was in a coffin!!. I could see my breath rising in front of my eyes. Oxygen. I was stripped of it. Then there came the sharp jagged spikes on the door. And to my horror they were coming down and down. I stomped my ground but,

CRACK! 

A bone broke, not mine. I turned my head slightly, I was kept on a skeleton! This was too much. I woke up!. Panting heavily, sweat was on my eyes. I was in a room, not mine. There was pitch dark. I got up from the bed and searched for some light but there was none. I touched the walls and traced them. There was no window!! No Door!! 

Then a faint light flickered, the table lamp bursted up. I found the paper and pen. I sat down and began to write. You may think why? Or consider me foolish or drunk. But you'll never hear, like I do, the footsteps of Betty walking outside those walls. . . A knife was struck on the wall and there was blood marks all around it. Betty was killed. . . 

The given story was found at the cemetery in pages. They were kept near a grave of Bathilda P. with a inverted christian cross on the first page. ( Some papers are believed to be missing )

The End