Asako's Tale

Asako walked closely to the streets, indeed the path she had to take was way inside, away from the street. But she couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. The streets of Yokohama were buzzing with all sorts of talks; people arguing for bargain, tourists talking their usual nonsense about the awe of the city even if it stank worse than a waste pit, then people meeting other people. One would completely feel safe and think that all the people would keep an eye on each other and there is no chance of being harmed. Asako knew better, being born as Japanese can really tell you what sort of eye people keep. Even in western region people like to stare at you with that hungry stare, not every other person you meet will know everything about the art of zen and Buddhist scriptures. Many even didn't go to pray in the temple. Only after they realise that they are too old to stare at a 21-year-old lady, only then they seek relief in the temple. Also, the common illusion of being safe in a street full of people was common; nobody cared if your purse goes missing, nobody will tell you the right direction to a place and especially if it's a local stud. They will just mind their own business and keep staring at you only to comfort their animal side.

But Asako was not being followed by a lowly stud nor was she followed into a deep and silent corner of the street. She could go where-ever she wanted only to be followed by the long, drooping, monstrously terrifying shadow of a woman. She had walked from the train and all the way to the market, but that shadow was always behind. She had turned behind, of course. Little did it help to comfort her. Woman? Yes, a woman because when she had entered the public restroom at the station. She could hear her sitting on the seat next to her room. Eagerness had crept into her slowly, the simple urge to bend down and look at the woman. But she didn't, she had a better plan. She had slowly come out of the cabin and then bend down from the front to look at the legs. There were none.

She had risen up, ' She was there. I could feel it. . . I could. I . . . ' she turned behind to look at the face of the ghastly woman, tall dark hair and paper white face struck with fear. She screamed.

An elderly lady got hold of her. She recovered from her fright only to see her face in the mirror. She saw the Elderly woman, " Arigato Gosaimasu " She thanked her, the woman smiled and nodded. Asako saw her opening the door of the restroom just beside her and going in.

" Am I going crazy? " she thought. But she had left hurriedly.

Among the loud noise of the hawkers and fishermen hauling people with absurd prices, she moved past them all. Trying to take sharp turns and avoiding wide areas. She didn't mind being touched at all now. She just wanted to get away. " Haruki. I need to go to Haruki " she reminded herself.

The second encounter, which had given her the unwanted assurity that someone really was following her. Happened when she had gone into a shop.

After the mysterious encounter at the public restroom. She had taken a stroll in the park. Just to clear out her mind, she was going over to Haruki and oh, how well did she know the used-up trick of inviting over dinner and proposing. But she had decided to accept the ring. ' Yes, males are all like that. Old is gold. Always the same motto. But Haruki-San is nice. I have spent enough time with him to know that he isn't a bad person, but. . . should I? . . . should I accept it?. . . Can I take this step? ' she thought hard over the thought. ' Mother please help me. I need your advice ' she looked up at the sky and closed her eyes, clasping her hands. Sitting on the swing at dusk when the winds swept the dust like finishing off all the work in the office and enjoying the rest after the excruciating day. Her hair flapped everywhere. She still sat down trying to draw peace with herself, a thousand questions in her mind. She could hear the crows caw as if calling it an end to the day, she could feel the wind wiping away the work of every person to make a clean slate for tomorrow. Finally, she had somehow calmed herself down and decided to get a small gift for Haruki. She walked out of the park.