Letter to Elf Digwell

Dear Digwell ,

Why didn't you come to my house this Christmas? I am sad and angry. I missed you and your funny tricks. We used to have fun sneaking up to the fridge and eating bits of cupcakes. I would wish for you every Christmas and you would be there with your large ears and short legs. But you didn't come this time. I am still angry for that. Why? Digwell? Why didn't you come? Instead, I had to play with her. She wasn't much fun. You know she likes to play with knives. I don't like her. I don't like her staring at me with her full black eyes. Her hair is dark gold and a beautiful face. She wears red dress and white slacks. She is almost like a godmother but with sharp teeth and spiked tongue.

At night, you know Digwell, we had dinner. Everybody came, my aunt and uncle, cousins and even grandma and grandpa could come this Christmas. I was so happy!! Me and my cousin started to decorate the gingerbread house. Though Alex doesn't know much, he is messy but it's okay. Then dad came with the big red and white cake. It was so yum Digwell! You missed it all!! Then my mum and others bought apple pie, tarts, mashed potatoes and so much more!! Then came the biggest celebration, can you guess?
It was Stuffed Turkey!!! It smelled so good, all the spices and herbs mixed so well!! It was juicy too!! My stomach rumbled when I saw it.

We had a great time! But everybody soon left. They'll be back again for New year though. That'll be a sight to see when I get out of this hospital.

11:30. I slipped out of my bed, I checked the lights from under the door crack, they were off. I opened the door very slightly. The house was quiet, I giggled. I loved to sneak out while everyone sleeps. It's like the whole house is mine. I looked under the door of my parents, lights out there too. Slowly I creeped below through the stairs. It was chilly inside. Everyone was asleep, the darkness was haunting the house. Seeking out the misbehaving kid to punish them with creepy visions. But I never gave up. It was dark that's all. No need to think it will punish and it won't. I waited for you Digwell. I thought, maybe Digwell would be there with his smiling face and eating gingerbread cookies. I hoped for it, very dearly.

As I tiptoed to the hall my eagerness grew. You come only once a year. But you bring so much joy, better than my friends, better than my toys, better than anything else in the world. I looked out of the window, the moon shone like your face, round. The bright light came through the window making a white shadow. The hallway was long.

I went to the hall and placed my hands on the knob when I turned. I thought mum was coming down, I hid in the kitchen, just beside the hall. They are connected. But no one came. I got up from my hiding place and began coming in the hall, when heard a crunching sound. I hid again. But then after some time it was quiet.

I told myself not to be scared. I got up again, this time making sure to not go back. I stepped forward when I heard her giggle. It was high-pitched and slow. I still went forward; it was only the darkness warning me I thought.

I came inside the hall. Then quickly hid behind the sofa because I heard footsteps, they were fast sometimes and suddenly becoming slow. I was thinking it was you, playing with me. Then the sound went away, I put my head ahead and I saw her.

In the mystic moonlight from the window before me. I could see her, short and bent. She was laughing very quietly, almost as if trying to stop. I hid again, I was sure it wasn't you. Because when you come the lights turn on by themselves

CLICK!

The lights turned on, I looked up and saw her face, she was sweet girl her eyes brown and nose straight. Her hair golden brown but, Digwell, but her whole face was marked with straight lines, they were not crayon lines. They were cut by knives. The blood came out of them. Her eyes turned full black, no whites. She gave me a hand, I backed away.

But she came towards me. She showed me my doll. Her arms were cut off and head turned all the way round. She marked her face with those red lines too. I began to run when she grabbed my arm. Her hands were strong. There were very sharp nails. They dug into my arm. I was about to shout when she silenced me her other arm. She dragged me in the middle and said
' Do you want your Christmas gift? ' I started crying, I didn't want to, but I couldn't help it. She showed me her knife and she placed it on my hand and made a cut. She silenced me again. I wanted to go to mum, I was crying and struggling. She took my arm again and pulled it back, I heard a crack, and the pain came to me. She broke my arm.

' Come on now play. ' she said, but I kicked her hand and began to run when she grabbed my feet, not with her hands but with her long, long tongue. Her tongue had teeth and I looked back, and she was opening her mouth wide and her teeth were sharp. I took the knife and cut her tongue. She screamed and I fainted.

Today I am at hospital. I hope you see this Digwell and come soon maybe this New year? I hope you do.

Love,
Amelia.