Chapter 26: D'Arby The Gambler - I Won't Lose! Part 2

Brianna continued to smile as D'Arby stared her down. He stared at the girl's eyes and for a brief moment, he got a flashback to a game he had once played in his younger years.

D'Arby looked up at Jotaro, "Are you really going to bet your soul on this girl?"

Jotaro answered D'Arby with a glare.

"Very well then. Shall we begin?" D'Arby said

"Yes," Bri turned to Jotaro, "Make sure he doesn't cheat."

D'Arby laughed, "That didn't go very well when his grandfather said that."

Bri wasn't fazed at all by the comment, "I think things will go a little different this time."

D'Arby brought out a pack of cards the security seal intact. Bri reached over and grabbed the pack opening the cards. She laid them out on the table as Jotaro examined them.

"There's one joker. I don't see anything unusual. They're ordinary playing cards," Jotaro said

Brianna nodded her head before putting the cards back in a stack.

"Okay! Open the game!" D'Arby reached forward lifting the stack of cards in half and flipping the bottom card over, "Ten of hearts."

Brianna reached for a card, "Seven of clubs."

"Looks like I'm the dealer," D'Arby grabbed the cards. He shuffled the cards before placing them back on the table, "Cut, if you please."

Bri grabbed the cards and cut the stack before D'Arby picked them up again.

"And now, I shall deal," D'Arby said

He started to deal out the cards one by one, that is until Star Platinum appeared and broke his finger.

D'Arby let out a scream as his pointer finger was bent back and snapped.

"W-What?! What happened?! Jotaro, his finger! Star Platinum just broke D'Arby's finger out of the blue!" Avdol yelled

"It wasn't out of the blue. He cheated," Bri  affirmed

"What? Cheating? When? He was just dealing the cards....He didn't make any suspicious moves," Avdol said

"That's wrong. A common trick while dealing cards if you look at his left hand," Bri pointed out.

Avdol gasped, "The second card is sticking out....."

"He was trying to deal me out bad cards by secretly slipping them out. It appears as if he was dealing from the top when he was actually giving me the cards he wanted me to have. If I'm right this technique is called second dealing," Brianna explained

D'Arby was shaking holding his broken finger, "W-What a horrible man you have," He addressed Bri, "Breaking my finger...."

Bri just smiled, "If you think Jotaro breaking your finger was bad then you really don't know him like I do. That was him being nice. It seems like you can't be trusted to deal out the cards. So I'll be shuffling the deck from now on, but to make things fairer, how about we get someone who isn't involved to deal. That boy over there playing might be willing to help."

"Good," D'Arby said

"Avdol, would you please bring him here?" Bri asked

"All right," Avdol said

"Impressive. To cheat, one must take advantage of psychological blind spots," D'Arby brought out a handkerchief, "You need more than sharp eyes to see through cheating," D'Arby tied the cloth around his broken and middle finger creating a makeshift splint. "Just because Jotaro saw through my second dealing doesn't mean you're going to win. I shall accept what happened to my finger as punishment," D'Arby picked up Polnareff's and Joseph's souls, "You see I'm not facing you for Lord Dio's sake. I'm facing you because I'm a gambler."