Prolouge

June 12, 1995 Tampa, Florida
LILI'S POV
I sighed as I look at the school gate. Only 5 more minutes until I would be called to take the test. I wanted to graduate early and if I passed this test, that dream would happen.

I waited anxiously for another minute when I hear laughing.

I look up, and saw five boys walking on the campus.

I frowned, as I didn't recognize any of them.

Two were quite tall, although the dark haired one was a bit taller than the blonde.

They sat down on the sidewalk, about a good distance from me.

I ignored their loudness and laughter while I wait for the principal to call me in. From time to time, I glanced at them, but they seemed immersed in their own conversation.

After a few minutes, I got bored of watching them.

To pass the time, I started humming softy to "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. I loved Journey but Steve Perry was my favorite, as he had an amazing voice. I was so caught up in humming, that I didn't notice one of the boys walk up to me and sit down next to me.

I looked up, and see a boy about my age with blond curtain hair, and bright blue eyes like the ocean. He grinned, and leaned back against the tree.

I looked over at him confused, and ask, "Do you need something?"

"Actually yes. Do you have any plans for tonight?"

I frowned and reply, "I don't even know you."

The boy laughs and says, "Well we can change that. I'm Nick." He scoots closer to me and I look at the other guys sitting on the sidewalk. They were talking and looking at us.

I rolled my eyes. I understood what was going on. I scoot away from Nick, and say "I'm not interested."

He raised an eyebrow.

"You sure?" He slides his arm around my waist and I stiffen.

"Could you not?" I gave him a dirty look.

"Sorry." he removes his arm and pushed his hair away from his face.

I had to admit, he was attractive.

"So, as I was saying," he began. "You look like a cool person, and I'd really like to take you out."

I turned my attention back to twirling my pencil between my fingers. "Like I said, I'm not interested."

"Please. Look, you're really pretty and based on what you were humming, we both enjoy Journey, so that's one thing in common."

I looked at him. He looked genuine, but  I was incredibly confident that this was all a prank.

I get up quickly, and walk away.

I hear him get up and say, "Hey wait up!"

I walk faster to the school gate.

"What's your name?" Nick calls out. I don't answer, and as soon as I open the gate to enter the school, I feel a hand on my arm, pulling me back.

"Let go of me." I glare at Nick.

He doesn't let go and instead holds on. "It's okay, don't get all worked up. Look, my friends will never stop making fun of me. Just one time. That's it."

"Leave me alone." I yanked my arm away from Nick's grip.

"I know you don't want me to" he says, sounding the tiniest bit desperate.

"Yes I do, so leave me alone." I open the gate.

Nick stayed quiet, and I turned around. He was looking down at his shoes, before glancing up.

I shook my head and started to turn back around, but he leaned in incredibly close.

"Stop! Find someone else who's actually interested." With that, I put my hands on his chest and push him away and at that moment, the principal appears, and calls my name.

I glance back at Nick, and I see him watching me with his blue eyes. Then he turns around and goes back to his friends. I sigh in relief.

"Thank god." I mutter. I swear, boys do not know what the word no means. I push thoughts of Nick out of my mind and head in the classroom to take my test.

As soon as I walked in, it was just the principal, Mrs. Adams and I.

She gestured for me to take a seat, and I did.

Mrs. Adams explained the test to me and I paid attention, trying to remember all the tips she was giving.

She handed it to me and I took and it skimmed through it for a moment.

She went to her desk and proceeded to look through files and make phone calls.

I started the test, trying my best and doing math calculations on a separate piece of paper.

After an two hours, I stopped for a moment. I was halfway done, and Mrs. Adams said I could go use the restroom if I needed to, which I didn't, so I just took a ten minute walk around the school.

It was a very nice campus, you could see the bay from the field.

I had been here since last year, but I really wanted to graduate early.

Ever since I was twelve years old, I've always wanted to be an actress.

Two years ago, I got the chance. Twice.

I could've been on the Mickey Mouse Club, but when my father found out that I snuck out for auditions during the trip to Florida, it was an immediate no.

But after running away three years ago, I got another opportunity.

The Samantha Series and Catherine one.

A total of six movies, but the last two of each were mostly backstories, so they didn't require much of me in them.

They were a huge deal back in Europe, but not so much here, in the United States.

I didn't attend any of the award ceremonies, since I technically forged a signature to get the role.

But I pushed that out of my thoughts and headed back to the classroom, where I spent another two hours before finishing.

I really hope I pass.