Chapter 13

December 17, 1995 Tampa, Florida
NICK'S POV
I flinch in surprise as Lili reaches out and hugs me.

But I hug her back. I feel her smile against my chest.

We pull away and stare at each other for a moment. I lean in and kiss her softy.

Lili doesn't kiss me back at first, but then she wraps her arms around my neck and kisses me back.

"Nick." she moans against my lips.

"NICK!"

I open my eyes and sit up, wide awake. Lili is standing near my bed with a frown on her face.

"I've called your name twice." she says, annoyed. "Wake up sleepyhead."

Wait what?

Aww man. It was only a dream.

Well Lili did hug me and we spent the rest of the day talking and eating.

I told her about the Backstreet Boys and how we hoped to get famous blah blah blah. But we never kissed.

I mentally groan.

Dammit Nick, she doesn't like you in that way. You're gonna ruin everything if you keep up with this.

"Nick?"

Lili's voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Hmm? Yeah sorry, what's up?" I answer.

"I'm going to go to the grocery store to get some stuff. Do you want to come?"

"Yeah sure. I'll shower and then we can go." Lili nods. "Okay, we can leave in an hour."

She leaves and I shower and get dressed, then eat breakfast with Lili.

The grocery store is close, so we walk and buy groceries.

As we pass the cookie aisle, I ask Lili, "Can we make cookies?"

She looks at me and smiles. "Sure."

After we get what we need, Lili pays and we leave to go back home.

Home.

I realized I still haven't called my mom or anything to let her know I'm okay.

Shit.

When we reach Lili's house, I help her out away the groceries and ask, "Hey do you have a phone here? I just realized I haven't let my family know I'm okay."

Lili's eyes widened. "Nick! Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

I blush and look at the floor. "I kinda forgot."

I hear her sigh and she goes upstairs and returns with a phone.

"Thank you." I say gratefully.

"Your welcome, but hurry Nick, they're probably worried as hell right now."

I nod, then go upstairs. I decide to call my mom first. I dial her number, and after four rings, I hear her say, "Hello?"

"Hey mom it's me Nick." I say cautiously.

"Nicky? You're alive? Where are you?" she asks, sounding relieved.

"I'm um, at this girl's house-" I begin, but she cuts me off.

"A GIRL'S HOUSE?!" my mom screams.

I flinch and pull the phone away from my ear.

"We've been here all worried about where you've been after getting attacked, and you just go off with a GIRL?!" she shrieks.

"Mom! Let me explain!" I cry out, desperately.

"Oh you're going to explain but in person. You better be at the house by morning tomorrow." my mom growls.

"Okay Mom, see you." I hang up.

Well, that didn't go very well. I'm so screwed. My mom has never been a good listener. I go back downstairs where Lili is getting things ready to make the cookies.

She glances up and sees me. "How did it go?"

"Not well." I sigh, running a hand
through my hair.

"Not well? What happened?" Lili sets down the bowl on the counter and looks at me.

"My mom is pissed off. She asked where I was, and I said I was at a girl's house and she started yelling at me. I tried to explain but she cut me off and said that I better be home by tomorrow morning."

Lili winces. "Your mom is probably just relieved that you're okay."

I nod. "Yeah I know, I should have called her earlier." I sigh.

Lili's eyes light up. "Hey to celebrate your last day here let's have a movie marathon!"

I look up to see her grinning and bouncing in place.

I chuckle. "Sure." I say smiling.

"We have the snacks but wanna help me make the cookies?" she asks.

"Hell yeah!" I go stand next to her on the counter while we start making the cookies.