Chapter 14

December 17, 1995 Tampa Florida
JANE CARTER'S POV
After I finish talking with Nick on the phone, I pace angrily. That boy nearly scared me to death and he just goes to hangout at a girl's house? But I'm relieved he's alright. My husband walks in the bedroom.

"Nick is fine." I say.

Bob looks at me.

"What?" he says, his face all confused.

"Nick just called me from a girl's house. He's alive and okay."

"A girl's house? What the fuck is he doing in a girl's house?" Bob asks, his face turning red.

"I don't know, but I told him to come home by morning and we'll have a talk." I growl.

All that trouble to search for him. We had hung missing posters.

"Well I'll go to the police station and tell them that Nick is safe so that they can announce that he's been found." I say. Bob nods, then walks out of the bedroom. So do I, and I grab my purse and drive to the police station.

LILI'S POV
As Nick grabs one of the mixing spoons , I stop.

"Wait!" I exclaim.

Nick freezes. "Huh?" he says, dropping the spoon.

"We should put music while we make the cookies!" I grinned.

"Good idea, what should we listen to?" Nick asks.

Hmm.

"I don't know I have different albums. I have Queen, Jackson 5, Michael Jackson, a-hah, Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up", Nirvana, and Journey. My personal favorite." I list.

Nick's eyes widen. " Your favorite is Journey?"

"I love Journey, but Steve Perry is my favorite. He has a beautiful voice." I say, as I pick up the Journey albums.

"Me too! And Steve Perry is my favorite as well. He's kinda like my idol." Nick admits.

"Good choice." I put in the CD and it begins to play "Don't Stop Believing." I recognize the intro.

"Ooh this is one of my favorites. This one and Open Arms." I say while measuring the flour.

"This one came out in 1981 right?" Nick asks, after putting flour in his bowl.

"Yeah."

Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world, she took the midnight train goin anywhere...

I start to sing the lyrics while I'm adding eggs to the flour. Nick looks up, surprised.

"Wow, you have a great voice. You could be a singer."he compliments, while mixing his batter. I blush, and stop singing.

"I'm okay at singing. It's not like I can make a living out of it." I laugh, while I start picking up the batter and placing it on the cookie sheet. Nick frowns.

"I'm sure you could, if you wanted to." he points out, while shaping the cookie dough.

"Yeah, but I don't want to be a singer. I just sing for fun." I say, as I shape the last bit of dough and place it on the cookie tray.

I look over at Nick, who also finished. I pick up the tray and put it in the oven to bake.

When I turn around, Nick has a mischievous smile on his face.

"Why are you smiling like that?" I ask confused. He doesn't answer and instead grabs some leftover flour and throws it at me.

What the hell-? I look at Nick and I can feel that my hair and face is covered with flour. Nick doubles over and starts laughing his guts out.

"You did not." I say. He's too busy laughing to answer. In response, I grab an egg and crack it on his head. Nick immediately stops laughing. He reaches up and feels the egg yolk running down his hair and face.

It's my turn to start laughing, and Nick's face is priceless. He quickly grabs the leftover milk, and splashes it on my face.

"Nick!" My face is now covered with milk AND flour.

"You better run." I warn Nick, trying not to laugh. I open the refrigerator and bring out the whipped cream.

Nick's eyes widened.

"No!" he screams and quickly runs away. I run after him laughing, I chase him upstairs, then downstairs back to to the kitchen.

I jump on his back and squirt whipped cream on his hair. I get off his back and run away, as he picks up the soft butter stick, and starts chasing me with it. I giggle and scream while I'm running, but he's too fast. He grabs me by the waist and I squeal.

He smashes the soft butter on my hair, laughing. We fall on the floor, and Nick is on top of me, our lips just inches apart. I look at him and see that he's looking at my lips.

Is he leaning in?

I pull away, and start to get up and see that the kitchen is a huge mess.

"Oh shit. Sorry about the kitchen." he says, guiltily.

"It's all right. Just help me clean up." I
pick up the broom and hand it to Nick. He takes it and we clean the kitchen.

Two Journey albums later, we finish cleaning.

"Finally." Nick groans. He leans on the counter and sighs. I smile. I notice the whipped cream is still on his head and I get a funny idea for a joke. I go to the fridge and take out a cherry. I walk over to Nick and place it on his head. Nick gives me a strange look.
"A cherry for the sundae!" I exclaim, giggling. Nick grins and pulls me in a side hug.

I'm the first to pull away.

"We should probably shower so we can start our movie night." I suggest.

"Yeah, good idea." Nick agrees.

"You can go first since you have more stuff on you." I say. Nick nods and goes  upstairs, then comes back with clean clothes and heads into the guest bath.

The oven beeps, and I grab mittens to pull the cookie try out. Not gonna lie, these look good, but I set them on the counter to cool off. I start getting the snacks ready.

I'm halfway done when Nick comes back, in a bright blue shirt that matches his eyes and light grey sweatpants.

With his hair swept to the side and his blue eyes bright, he looks...good.

Handsome.

Wait, why I am thinking he looks handsome?

I'm probably tired.

"You can go shower now. I'll get the rest of the snacks ready." he offers.

"Thanks Nick." I head upstairs to shower.