Chapter Three: Wake Up Call

The daylight flooded through the windows as the rays of sunlight warmed my skin. It was the first time I had felt warm and comfortable since arriving here but sadly I felt myself beginning to wake up. My eyelids twitched open as I slowly allowed my eyes to adjust to the light. Once everything came into focus, I awoke to the same pair of eyes watching me intently. 

"Oh, not you again" I groggily blurted out, frustrated that I was still in the game.

I was taken aback at saying it as I genuinely did not mean to be so harsh. It just slipped out. 

"Guten morgen to jou too." Richtofen hissed sarcastically.

"I shee zhe aggressive behaviour is shtill vith us", he said as he rested his chin on one hand.

I could see his mind ticking away as he assessed my condition. I tucked the blanket tighter around me as I sat up to adjust my back which no doubt was now dented with the chair. I could just imagine the bar across the chair being imprinted into my back as I shuddered at the thought of having to do that another night. I longed for my bed.

Suddenly, our attention was drawn to the door where muffled male voices on the other side could be heard before a deep voice exclaimed,

"He's been in there all night?! God knows what he's done to her. The only chick we meet for miles and you leave her with that creep?! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME, TAK?!" It was unmistakably Dempsey's voice. 

There was no response from Takeo as the sound of footsteps stomped towards us. The hall echoed as the sound reverberated through the building. As the noise reached a crescendo, everything became silent as it approached the door. After a second, the door began to rattle; the banging was so strong it could have taken the door right off the hinges. 

"Oh here ve go." The doctor rolled his eyes. As he stood up and adjusted his jacket. 

"Richtofen, you better open up or I'll break this door down and kick your boney ass!" Dempsey growled.

I could not help but laugh a little before Richtofen caught me and narrowed his eyes. I wiped the smile from my face and sat quietly watching the scene unfold. To my surprise, Richtofen moved toward the door and opened it as he was told. I turned in my chair to get a better view of the drama. 

"Where is she kraut?!" Dempsey snarled, baring his teeth at Richtofen.

Richtofen gestured to me and Dempsey poked his head in the room as he looked around before spotting me.

"Did he hurt you, honey? I swear if he did anything I'll wring his neck out!" Dempsey shouted over.

"I believe I left clear orders zhat I vould slit jours if jou interruprted my vork." The German replied nonchalantly.

He was clearly unamused by Dempsey's heroic act.

"She's a human being! Not a fuckin experiment!" Dempsey cursed.

As he was about to make another threat the doctor cut him off. 

"I vould like jou to get zhe fräu somezhing to vhear. Ve cannot have her valking around like zhis, especially vith a predator around such as jou, Dempshey." This only made Dempsey angrier but he held his words before turning to me.

Richtofen sniggered triumphantly.

"Stay right there! I'll be back as quick as I can and then we can get you the hell away from this freak."

And with that, Dempsey sprinted down the hall and out of sight. Richtofen slammed the door shut and stalked his way back to me - arms behind his back. He stared into my eyes unblinkingly before sitting back down at his desk. He removed his visor and ran his hand through his hair to sweep it all back. I watched as I waited for him to finally speak.

"Jou know, fräu. I shtill vant answers from jou. I vill be vatching jour every move zhe very minute jou shtep outside zhis room. Zhe shtupid American cannot keep jou from me, remember zhis."

We stared at each other in pure silence. I did not feel his statement required an answer - not even a sarcastic one. I sat awkwardly waiting for Dempsey to return as Richtofen sunk back into his chair - hands steepled as his eyes bore into me. After what felt like an eternity, we heard the sound of heavy boots running down the hall towards us.

We both looked at the door expecting Dempsey to burst in any second. I let out a small sigh of relief which caught Richtofen's attention causing him to eye me suspiciously. Dempsey returned bursting in through the door as expected. 

He passed me a small ladies uniform which I gratefully took. I remained seated with my new clothes hoping one of the men would suggest where I could change. Richtofen raised an eyebrow, clearly puzzled, as to why I was not getting changed. Dempsey cleared his throat catching Richtofen's attention.

"Uh, Doc. The little lady would like some PRIVACY before she changes", Dempsey shouted clearly frustrated by Richtofen's lack of social intelligence.

Richtofen took a second to think before suggesting the supply cupboard. How glamorous, I thought

"Look doc, just wait outside with me until she changes. There's no way I'm letting her be cornered in a cupboard with you stalking around outside", Dempsey said as he bartered for my privacy.

Richtofen's glare shifted from Dempsey to me and back before he finally agreed to wait in the hall. The two men stepped outside before the door clicked shut leaving me blissfully alone in my own company. I jumped up and slung the blanket onto the chair. I unfolded the skirt and slipped it up over my hips. Next, I took the once white blouse that was now more a shade of dusty grey and threw it on. The shoes Dempsey chose were a sensible practical boot but at this point any fashion sense was null and void so I happily put them on.

I walked over to the sink and looked in the mirror above it. I looked like crap but that was expected given the circumstances. I tried to fix my hair a bit in a vain attempt to look a little presentable. Unsurprisingly, my paradise of solitude was short-lived as it was interrupted by Richtofen banging on the door impatiently.

"For goodness sake, how long does it take shomeone to get dressed?! I better not find anyzhing dishturbed in my office or I'll--", Richtofen was cut off by Dempsey.

"Shut the fuck up and give her some peace. I bet she's glad to get a minute away from you! Ladies take longer than us -- Oh wait, you wouldn't know would you?" Dempsey butted in before the last sentence echoed in the hallway with smug delight.

He really knew how to push Richtofen's buttons. Suddenly, I heard loud thumps as the two men seemed to exchange blows.

I chuckled as I finished getting dressed and went to sit back down again. I called out to the two that I was done as both clamoured in trying to squeeze through the doorframe at the same time. It was like a comic act really. I stifled a laugh as Richtofen eyed me suspiciously before making sure nothing in his office was disturbed or missing. I did not put it past him to have a photographic memory. 

"Can I please go now?" I asked impatiently before Richtofen sat down glared at me.

After a small silence, he finally gave me the nod to leave. Dempsey was waiting at the door as he offered me his hand before we darted down the hallway. I could feel Richtofen's glare bore into my back as I imagined him standing in the doorway watching us flee that dreaded office. But I did not care. I felt so relieved to be out of there!

"C'mon, let's meet the guys!" Dempsey cheered as we made our way out of the building.

We made our way down the stairs and through the foyer. Dempsey opened one of the entrance doors and I was met with a refreshing sweep of crisp cool air. 

I was glad to be free!

End of part three...