Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Innkeeper Pt. 2

"Ah, hallo Edvard. I am Hans Meyer, zhe owner of zhis little inn. My wife und I opened it almost thirty years ago. Vhen she passed avay, many of our friends expected me to close it. But I couldn't bring myself to do it - zhis place gives me a purpose", Hans explained. Richtofen nodded in sympathy for his wife but remained silent.

"I can see jou haven't eaten in days. Vould jou allow me to prepare somezhing for jou?" Hans asked - although he had already gotten up to do so before Richtofen could reply.

"I'm just heading down to zhe kitchen. I von't be long", Hans sang with a cheery smile before he disappeared down the hall. Richtofen sat back in his chair in a daze. He couldn't believe how kind the man was... and to him. He wasn't used to this kind of reception - which made his chest heavy as he could feel tears beginning to well up.

He quickly composed himself before getting up to inspect the room. The bed was quaint and homely which made Richtofen feel almost excited to try it out. As he lay on the bed looking around, his eye caught a small painting on the wall across. It was a landscape of the courtyard of an old Manor. Richtofen got up to inspect the watercolour before his eyes landed on the bottom left corner. There was writing which said "Munchen 1914, Alter Hof" and a signature which read "A. Hitler".

Richtofen walked over to his bag and tipped out it's contents on the bed. His belongings were truly meager as all he carried with him was a comb, toothbrush and a tin of hair wax. Aside from that, he had a small keepsake box filled with items he had found during his travels around Germany.

He laid the items on the side table before putting the box in the back of the bottom drawer. He felt strange being able to plant some kind of roots instead of always being ready for a flitting - even if it was just for one night. After doing so, he returned to the table and drank his coffee. His stomach grumbled and groaned as the hot liquid warmed his oesophagus before crashing into his empty stomach. He heard footsteps coming up the stairs causing him to tense out of habit.

Hans walked through the door with a smile, expertly carrying both plates in one hand, which he then sat in front of Richtofen. The mere sight of the food caused Richtofen's stomach to groan with impatience. Hans sat down and let out a jolly laugh.

"Zhere is more if jou vant it. Bitte, have a bite", Hans said in his calm gentle voice. Before he could blink, Richtofen began scoffing down the food with little regard for etiquette. His arms began piling the food into his mouth of their own accord as he gulped down every bite. Hans smiled as if he had expected this reaction.

"Do remember to breathe!" Hans joked before Richtofen cleaned both plates. His stomach gurgled as it began to expand with it's new contents.

"Vhat happened to jou? How did zhis fate befall such a strapping young man?" Hans asked, as it clearly pained him to see Richtofen in such a bad way. Richtofen looked down at the table as his shoulders slumped.

"It's okay, it happens to zhe best of us. I'm just glad jou found jour vay here. I vould be honoured to have jou as a guest here until jou get jour strength up", Hans announced which took Richtofen by surprise as he looked up at the man is shock.

"Stay here, get jourself back to health und I vill give jou a job vhen jou are feeling stronger", Hans explained.

"Zhis is jour new start, ja? Allow me zhe pleasure of being jour first friend in jour new city", Hans said warmly. 'Friend', it was a word which was alien to Richtofen. And by now he was beyond overwhelmed by Hans' kindness. In fact, he simply couldn't understand it.

"Vhy are jou doing zhis for me?" was all Richtofen could muster as his reply.

"Because I am in a position to help ozhers. No vone vas zhere for me vhen I vas in jour place. I simply got lucky", Hans replied with a more serious tone.