Chapter Thirty-Nine: Cat And Mouse

Kiana watched as the electrified mist evaporated. She stood cuffed to the projector as her heart raced and her mind began to formulate an escape plan. She turned her head as she heard Richtofen emerge from the stage teleporter. She watched Richtofen and Primis' altercation before Primis was struck from behind.

When he was first knocked out by Richtofen at the teleporter; there were plenty of undead around who could have attacked him. His body slumped against the machine as his sharp German features softened and relaxed. Whilst he lay there unable to defend himself; the first creature to spot him was a nova six crawler. It slowly wound its way down from the ceiling and across the walls before finally landing on the stage.

The viridescent gas oozed from the creature's body as it began twitching and limping towards Primis. When the nova six crawler reached him; it stood before Primis and opened it's mouth to reveal rows of razor sharp teeth. It strained and stretched out its neck as it leaned forward - almost touching his face. Saliva dripped from its mouth as it released putrid green vapours which escaped before dissipating and diluting in the musty air.

Kiana felt the panic course through her body as she eyed the situation - completely powerless to help. There were undead scattered about the stage who had also begun to notice Primis. Their bodies convulsed and their faces distorted in agony before they lifted their heads. As their noses picked up his scent, they followed it and slowly shambled their way to him as the crowd of undead began to encircle him behind the crawler.

Richtofen began making his way to the lobby before stopping and looking up. He had donned his callous persona again. The one everyone saw - the one which earned him the nickname of "The Butcher". His lips twisted as he smiled up and waved goodbye. Kiana anxiously eyed the handcuffs as she wrestled with the chains connecting the cuffs.

She began twisting the links against eachother as they began to tense and seize. Once the links were at their tightest, she gritted her teeth and she prepared herself. Her hand held the cuff whilst her wrist readied the other cuff to apply an opposite force. After a deep breath, she quickly twisted the cuffs against eachother as the links began to tremble with the pressure.

Kiana looked back outside to see the undead beginning to gather around Primis. They looked on behind as the crawler then let out a high pitched wail - it's muscles tensed like a coiled spring. The crowd of undead writhed in anticipation as they also readied their assault. Her face went white as she turned back to the cuffs. The sudden rush of adrenaline flushed through her veins before releasing in a burst of strength. The first link collapsed and the others quickly followed suit. Pieces of metal fell to the floor and the chain between the cuffs broke away.

With her newfound freedom, Kiana rushed to the window as she looked on in horror. But, before any of the undead could lunge forward, their eyes went vacant as they became locked in a trance. Kiana cocked her head to one side - baffled by their strange behaviour.

After a few seconds, the horde simply turned and shambled away. They crept across the threatre as they then pursued Richtofen and his men. Primis remained unconscious - completely oblivious to the danger he had just been in. But most importantly, he had been oblivious to the phenomenon which had just saved his life.  

Kiana's eyes widened as she watched in bewilderment as the horde made their way to the lobby. Once the crowd had cleared, she breathed a sigh of relief as the weight of anxiety lifted from her shoulders - Primis lay unharmed. Kiana turned and hurried around the room as she tried to figure out how she could get out.

She noticed that the door to the projector room was bolted shut and proceeded to slide open the bolts and flung open the door. Her heart sank as the stairwell was barricaded and blocked with furniture and filing cabinets - which the theatre's previous inhabitants no doubt believed would protect them. She tried to climb over and under the blockade as she squeezed her way through. With great difficulty, she finally made it down the stairwell and braced herself for whatever was waiting on the other side of the next door.

Kiana breathed a ragged sigh as she unholstered her pistol. She opened the door to reveal a narrow corridor which branched off into two. As her body shook with urgency; she paused for a second before she made her way down the right path. It led to a corridor with various rooms which Kiana anxiously made her way through. The rooms and offices finally led to somewhere more familiar as she ran down the metal stairs and onto the stage.

As Kiana approached the teleporter, she took a deep breath and braced herself before proceeding. She looked around the machine to see Primis still laying unconscious. Her body relaxed as she confirmed he was indeed unscathed. Kiana holstered her pistol and quickly knelt down beside Primis and felt his pulse. As she gently pressed her fingers against his neck; she felt his pulse beat against them. Suddenly, Primis grabbed her wrist as his eyes shot open.

"Kiana... jou are alive", Primis whispered as his eyes glistened with tears. Kiana put her other hand on his shoulder and smiled.

"I'm okay... you're not going to get rid of me that easily", she replied sarcastically. They both smiled before Primis clutched the back of his head.

"Zhat bastard!" Primis spat with annoyance.

"Vhat did he do up zhere?" He added. Kiana felt a sharp pang as she thought about their exchange. Her chest felt tight before she paused to compose herself.

"Richtofen still doesn't believe me. He just doesn't want to face the truth", Kiana whispered in a faint voice. Her eyes stung with tears as she clamped them shut in a vain attempt to conceal this from Primis.

"He is beyond help, Kiana", Primis whispered back. He sat up and placed a hand on her shoulder before pulling her against him. Kiana began to sob as her whimpers and cries were muffled against his shoulder.

"He is sick. Some people cannot be saved", Primis said matter-of-fact. The words caused Kiana to suddenly stop and look up at him.

"But we still have to try. We can't let him do this!" Kiana protested.

"I know jou reciprocate his feelings -- our feelings -- but he is extremely dangerous", Primis replied as his words took Kiana by surprise.

"Und he vould sooner destroy himself zhan ever sheeing sense. I need jou to undershtand zhis. I do not vant to shee jou get hurt", Primis explained as he kept one arm around Kiana. She leaned against his chest as he enveloped her in his arms.

"Oh Edward, I'm so sorry for what happened -- to both of you. Neither of you deserved such a hard life", Kiana whispered as her warm breath kissed his neck.

"But you can change the future. Both of you can", Kiana added as Primis turned to look down at her.

"Edward, I think he wants me to stop him. His choice of words, he wants me to prove that I can stop him", Kiana cried as the tears overwhelmed her. Primis lifted a hand to cradle the back of her head.

"It is a game of cat und mouse zhen?" Primis asked as Kiana looked up at him.

She dried her tears and gave him a soft smile. She slowly helped Primis up and steadied him with his arm over her shoulder.

"I couldn't let jou do zhis alone, ja?" Primis smiled.

End of part thirty-nine...