Chapter Seven: Too Close For Comfort

"Where are all the hellpigs?!" Nikolai lamented.

He was perched up on the catwalk that led to the juggernog machine - solemnly drinking his vodka. Takeo was below boarding up the last window in the area. Upon hearing Nikolai's cries he deliberately slammed the hammer against the last nail in obvious frustration. The lack of zombies left everyone feeling extremely uneasy.

I sat alone on the catwalk in the STG building looking out at the two men yards away. I still could not believe I was sitting here. I doubt I would ever fully come to terms with it. But strangely, the familiar surroundings were comforting despite the stench of death creeping through the air. I did also found myself wondering why there were no zombies. It was day three and still no sign of them since I arrived. I was happy not to have to worry about them but I knew this respite did not come without payment.

I looked out and saw Dempsey come round the corner from the juggernog machine and along the catwalk towards Nikolai. Even he looked deflated and far from his usual gung-ho self. They had become so used to this life that I doubt they even remembered what normal life was like. I felt sad at the thought and breathed a deep sigh. A sudden chill came over me and I felt eyes watching me.

I looked around unable to spot anyone until I heard a deliberate cough come from directly below me. I was dangling my legs over the edge above where Richtofen stood. He was now glaring up at me. It was clear he was displeased with my idleness.

"Oh, what now?" I barked down in my rough Glaswiegan accent, boldly reflecting his glare back at him.

"Get down here now!" The doctor spat irritatedly.

I did as I was told merely out of boredom and interest for what the doctor decided was worth including me in. The metal stairs cranked and creaked even under my weight which, in all honesty, was not much. They did not seem very stable at all. I walked over to the door which Richtofen was now leaning against expectantly before straightening up when I approached.

"I zhought over vhat jou told me last night." He finally exclaimed.

His eyes scanned my face trying to gauge my reaction to this. He was very tall and coupled with my mere height of 5ft 3" - 4" on a good day - he towered over me regardless of whether he was even trying to or not. But I stood my ground. I have always been very good at hiding how I feel and felt assured that this ability would be useful around Richtofen in times like these. So my face remained stoic.

"Oh? And what are your conclusions, Doctor?" I finally said, nonchalantly.

He narrowed his eyes.

"Vell, vhen jou told me about--" he began before my attention was immediately torn from his words.

I looked over his shoulder at Dempsey who was staring at us intently with smouldering animosity. Takeo and Nikolai were both behind him quietly watching our conversation unfold. And, like a hawk, Richtofen picked up on my distracted gaze before swivelling around on one heel to see what I was looking at.

"Come vith me, ve shall shpeak somevhere vhere zhat monkey can't dishtract jou", He began walking away, expecting me to follow.

I walked behind him struggling to keep up with his large strides before we walked directly under the catwalk where the three men were perched.

"Where the fuck do you think you're takin' her, huh doc?" Dempsey screamed down at us.

But Richtofen kept walking.

"You better answer me now, freak. Or I'll tear ya a new one!" Dempsey was becoming more and more enraged by Richtofen's refusal to even acknowledge him.