Chapter Twenty-Eight: Persian Rose

A frown formed on my face before I quickly sat up and looked around again - still, no one was there. I thought my mind was beginning to play tricks on me; how on earth could I be smelling perfume all of a sudden? I was still groggy and half asleep as I tried to make sense of it so I sat back and tried to wake up first. I lifted the blanket off of me and let the cold air give me the slap on the face I needed.

After a few minutes, my brain felt a lot more functional and I looked around to see if anything had been disturbed or any indication that someone had been here. The smell was becoming overpowering now that my senses had fully awakened. I followed my nose as the hypnotic trail curiously led to underneath my cushion. I anxiously picked up the cushion and moved it aside to reveal a postcard laying under it along with a small ornate bottle which looked like it contained a potion.

I picked up the postcard and forensically examined it. There was no postage stamp and practically no wear or tear which indicated that the card was given to me without changing that many hands. The picture on the front was an artist's watercolour of St Basil's Cathedral. The large impressionist brushstrokes were loose but still encapsulated the grandeur of the building and its architecture. I eagerly turned the postcard around to reveal a beautiful handwritten note.

"Dear Kiana,

I'm sure the others will no doubt be running around in confusion without myself at the helm. And a small part of me would like to think my absence causes you some discomfort too.

You really are a heavy sleeper; I didn't get even as much as a stir from you when I arrived through the teleporter. You look very serene when you sleep; much unlike the persona you wear around the others when awake.

But I digress, you are no doubt anxious to know my whereabouts. I have work to see to before I return. Moscow is very beautiful at this time of year... points for correctly guessing which year I'm visiting in. I'm sure you can do it.

I would be very grateful if you could corral the others and keep them entertained until I return. I shan't be too long.

P.S - I do hope you like the perfume; I stopped over in Paris on my travels just for you. It has been crafted by the finest perfumists in the country. I arranged it myself. I know you will appreciate the Persian Rose - you are not fully Scottish... are you?

Alas, it must be very intoxicating mixed with your pheromones.

Goodbye for now.

Yours Faithfully,

Doctor Edward Richtofen (M.D)"

I threw the postcard to the wayside in annoyance. Richtofen had the audacity to leave us all here whilst he went about enjoying a wee trip around the globe. I knew fine well he had made a deal with the Soviets as well as the Americans but I had no idea he had actually done it during the game.

"Smug bastard", I cursed under my breath.

I reluctantly decided that I may as well inspect the perfume. The bottle was in French but I could make out some of the ingredients: amber, oud, peony... and rose. How ironic that so many women would have loved such a concoction yet Richtofen manages to find the one woman in the world who hates the smell of roses. I laughed to myself as I shook my head.

"I'm sure he is very proud of it", I said to myself.

I sat back and laughed as I imagined Richtofen prowling the perfume boutiques of Paris and practically terrifying the poor perfumists into making it.

But this meant I would not have to anticipate his return for another few days so I felt I could at least let my guard down a little. I would have peace to exist without him lurking in the shadows for a while. Suddenly, a smile ran across my face as I realised this was the perfect time to finally bathe. I could lock myself away and finally have a good scrub in the showers. I trusted the others as I knew they would not disturb me and Primis definitely was not creepy like Richtofen.

I quickly looked up as I heard footsteps coming towards me. Strangely, I was torn between hiding the postcard and perfume or just being upfront and telling the others. Thankfully, I decided to follow the latter which was much more sensible. We were all a team now and I could not go back to keeping secrets. Takeo, Nikolai, Dempsey and Primis all walked in to settle down for the night. Primis was first to clock that I was awake as he gave me a warm smile.

"Hallo Kiana, I shee jou are finally avake. I hope jou are feeling much better now", he called out with a playful smile.

The men followed behind and made their way towards the sofas. They all smiled over as they looked fatigued from the long day's work but the serious look on my face drained the smiles from theirs.

I waited for everyone to settle down on the sofas before I held up the postcard. They all looked on in bewilderment as they waited for me to explain.

"I have a postcard here from Richtofen", I announced.

"What the actual fuck?" Dempsey whispered aloud.

"Oh, vhere is he now?" Primis snarled.

Takeo and Nikolai remained silent as they awaited my answer.

"The Doctor is on a little trip", I began.

Dempsey let out a loud snort.

"You mean he left us here in this shithole while he's on holiday?!" Dempsey raised his voice in disbelief.

"And what the fuck is there to visit? Everything has gone to shit!" He added.

"Well, it seems he's in another time as he used the teleporter. I know there was a grey area in the story where he makes a deal at the end of the war with the Soviets and another with the Americans", I stated.

Dempsey sat back in disbelief.

"No way a country like America is gonna make a deal with that greasy kraut!" Dempsey said defiantly.

"Well Dempsey, I'm sorry to say they do. They wanted to continue his research for themselves. There is going to be another war that happens called the Cold War. Richtofen was at least smart enough to play both sides", I explained.

"Ahh, very instereshting. He's not as shtupid as he looks", Primis snarled.

We all let out a small laugh.

"Well, we'll get some peace from him for a few days until he returns", I added which earned a unanimous nod from everyone. Primis then spotted the perfume bottle next to me and narrowed his eyes.

"Und vhat exshactly is zhat?" Primis said suspiciously.

I sighed before handing him the bottle. We all watched as he examined the label before taking off the top. He expertly sniffed the contents causing his moustache to twitch up and down. His eyes suddenly snapped back at me in confusion.

"Apparently he wanted to leave me a little gift. He must have stopped off when I fell asleep again", I hypothesised aloud to the group.

"I hate the smell of roses", I whispered dejectedly - which Primis heard as he was sitting close to me.

He quickly put the top back on the bottle and set it aside.

"Let's get some sleep", Primis announced as we all agreed and turned in for the night.

We would deal with it tomorrow...

End of part twenty-nine...