Chapter Nineteen: Proverbs

Kiana sat quietly that evening as she took comfort in Takeo's company. Neither said a word after she told him what happened. He only replied with a proverb: "love and a cough cannot be hidden".

It made Kiana laugh but it also brought back memories of the time-period she had just left behind. A cough was not so innocuous anymore in 2020. She began to think of home as she prayed everyone was okay. As messed up as 2020 was she still wanted to go back - and as soon as possible.

But she had work to do though; here was a valuable opportunity to save the four men that everyone back home had become so fond of. Suddenly, Kiana began to frown as she finally spoke up.

"Who were you referring to when you said that Takeo?" She enquired, causing Takeo to raise his head to look at her.

"With many little strokes, a large tree is felled", he replied before returning to his meditation.

Kiana, enjoyed Takeo's proverbs. They always made her think but this time she was left deciphering who Takeo meant. Was it Dempsey or... Richtofen? She was interruprted from her thoughts by a hiccup from Nikolai who had entered the room. Kiana looked up and gave him a nod, though, Takeo remained unaffected - still fully immersed in his meditation.

"Where is Dempsey?" Nikolai slurred.

"I don't know", Kiana said quietly without making eye contact.

By now it was nightfall and she was due to take watch duty with Dempsey, though, she really could not face it tonight. And sadly she felt relieved Dempsey had not turned up for night watch.

"Meh", Nikolai shrugged before sitting down by the fire.

Takeo remained silent and serene; Kiana stirred and pulled her blanket tighter around her. The crackles and embers soothed Kiana's mind as she watched the fire. There was a gnawing in the pit of her stomach that had been slowly growing throughout the evening. Deep down, Kiana knew exactly who Takeo was referring to. No matter how hard she tried to play dumb.

But how could Richtofen have feelings for her!? He could not have feelings for anyone. Yet, the intensity that hung in the air between them suggested otherwise. His cold piercing eyes cut through her very being whenever she allowed herself to gaze into them. Kiana shivered slightly at the thought but it was enough to alert Takeo as he took notice. He opened one eye and turned to her.

"Another's feelings are not a reflection on you", he whispered.

It was eerie how he could sense her every thought. He could tell when her mind was going a million miles.

"I know", Kiana quietly mustered a response.

Her stomach convulsed at the thought of Richtofen wanting her in any capacity. Whenever she looked at him she thought about his victims; and she would never forgive him for his crimes. Not when the lights of so many lives were so cruelly snuffed out.

"He is not the man he once was and there is much darkness that clouds his mind. But I believe you bring out the human that still dwells within", Takeo interrupted her thoughts.

He always managed to put things so beautifully - no matter how dreadful they were.

"This is the only true way he will be stopped -- once his soul is cleansed", Takeo added.

"That's quite a tall order Takeo", Kiana replied.

She was much more cautious and realistic about the possibility of that ever happening than Takeo. She did not truly believe Richtofen could ever be talked out of it. He was so consumed by his thoughts that it seemed death would be his only way out.