Prolouge

A lone deer trots in the red and gold forest, the cool wind blowing through and the leaves fall gracefully down on the grassy ground.

The deer stops in the middle of the clearing in the forest and leans in to start munching on a piece of grass. But moments later, a leaf cracks and the deer raises its head, quickly. It's ear twitches as it tries to hear for anything else unusual.

But it doesn't last long as a loud gunshot echos through the forest and the deer falls over, dead. An older man, at least in his mid to late forties, walks up to the deer then lets out a whistle as a young girl, about fourteen, with blonde hair that was pulled back in braided ponytail.

"Nice shot, Abbs." The man said, smiling proudly at the girl. "Thanks dad." She said. "Man, perfect headshot!" Her father said as he kneels down, looking at the deer. "When did you get to be such a sharpshooter?" Her father asked her, jokingly. "I don't know. It's a total mystery." The girl said, feigning ignorance, and her and her father share a laugh.

"Well, one thing is for certain. The others are gonna love ya, Abby." Her father said as he kneels down to the deer. Abby gives a small smile at this. "Hell, they might have you be our food gatherer." Her dad said. "I don't know, dad. You're good at hunting animals too. I mean, I did learn from the best." Abby replied and her father smiled.

"Well...let's take this win back to camp." Her father said as he goes to pick up the deer. "We're gonna be eating like it's Thanksgiving tonight." He said and he picks the deer up over his shoulder.

He groans as he didn't realize how heavy it was and Abby goes over to him. "Hey, you need any help?" She asked. "Oh yeah. I got it, honey." Her father said and he starts to walk towards their camp, Abby right behind him.

They make it over to where a group of about twenty people were gathered around. Some were setting up their tents and sleeping bags while a couple were gathering wood for the campfire as it was gonna be dark in a few hours.

"Hey guys! Look what we got!" Abby's father exclaimed and he sets the deer down on the ground and everyone looked over, impressed.

"Holy shit!"

"Awesome!"

"Oh man, I'm so hungry!"

"You did it again, Jerry." One of the members, Owen who was about eighteen years old, said. "Actually, it wasn't me that caught this." Jerry said then he places a hand on Abby's shoulder. "Abby is the one who killed it." He said, proudly, and everyone looked at Abby, impressed and shocked.

"Way to go, Abby!" One person said and Abby's smile grew bigger. "Thanks." She said, slightly shy. "Oh don't be shy, Abbs. You earned it!" Her father said as be places his arm around her shoulder. "Yeah, who needs your dad now?" Owen asked, jokingly, and Jerry rolls his eyes at this.

Later that evening, as the sun started to set, the group had already started a fire. Jerry and another guy from the group had already skinned and cut up the deer. They started to cook the deer meat over the fire and started to talk among themselves. Abby smiled at what she considered her family as they laugh and talk about their day.

It had been seven years since the world turned to shit, thanks to this fungal infection. Abby was only seven years old when the world collapse and everyone had survive and fight off these infected people.

Abby's mother died in the early days of the infection and Jerry was heartbroken about it. But he had Abby to help keep his mind focus and he taught her as best as he could on how to survive as nobody knew how long this would last.

"Hey, Abby." Owen said which startled Abby out of her thoughts. "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you." Owen said, apologetically. "N-No, it's fine. I was just...lost in thought." Abby replied and Owen gives her a concerned look. "What were you thinking about?" He asked and Abby looks over at him.

"Just that...all of this..." she says as she gestures to the group. "Reminds of the times before everything went to shit." said Abby as Owen nods. "Yeah, like barbecues and family get togethers." Owen said and Abby nods. "Like the Fourth of July?" She said and Owen chuckles.

"Or Thanksgiving..."

"Christmas." Abby added then her smile falters a bit. "Man, I fucking miss Christmas." She said, sadly. "Yeah. Maybe...whenever we find a place to stay permanently, we could try to celebrate Christmas again?" Owen suggests and Abby looks up at him and smiles. "That does sound nice." She said.

As the two talk, a couple of guys head into the woods to take a piss as they talk amongst each other. However, moments later, they hear one of the guys scream and then a couple of gunshots. "What the hell?!" One guy, Danny, exclaimed as everyone looks towards the scream.

Immediately, a large group of hooded men come out of the woods and raise their guns and begin to fire. Two people were shot dead while everyone runs towards their weapons. "Owen!" Jerry shouts as he grabs a couple of rifles and tosses one to Owen, who catches it, and he walks up to the two. "Get Abby out of here!" Jerry tells Owen as the two give him confused looks.

"What?" Owen said, confused.

"Dad?" Abby said, fearfully.

"Both of you get out of here!" Jerry says, firmly, and he and Owen share a look before Owen grabs Abby's arm. "Abby, c'mon." Owen said and Abby looks between them. "No...no, no dad!" Abby said, frantically, and Owen drags her away as Jerry starts to fire at the hunters, killing a couple.

"Owen, stop! No! Dad! DAD!" Abby screams, frantically, as Owen drags her away. The remaining group started firing at the hunters and each group is able to take out a few but the hunters overpowered the group.

Owen and Abby hide in a large section of grass in the woods but were able to see what was happening. Abby watches the massacre, in horror, as some members of her group, some she has known, were being shot and dropped to the ground, dead, whilst the rest including her father fought back as much as they could.

Suddenly, Jerry goes to attack one man and the two began to brawl. And Jerry pulls the hood off of the man and Abby could see his face, his black short hair and beard. Then another man, who had his hood down so Abby could see his face, his dark blonde hair and a shadow of a beard on his face, pulls Jerry off of the first guy and Jerry fights the man until the black haired man pulls out his gun and fires it several time, killing Jerry.

"DAD!!!" Abby screams and Owen places his hand over her mouth, but it was too late as the hunters look towards the woods. "Tommy. Joel. Go check that out!" One of the hunters said and the two figures, that fought and killed Jerry, started to walk towards Abby and Owen.

Owen pulls Abby up to her feet and they began to run, the two hunters following them. "Keep running!" Owen tells her then he pulls out his gun and turns slightly as he starts firing, but his bullets kept missing. That is until he heard one of the men yelp in pain.

"Tommy!" A male voice, with a southern accent, exclaimed and Abby looks over her shoulder to see one of the men was holding his arm while the second man stopped by his side. She quickly turns away and looked ahead of herself as her and Owen put some distance between them and that hell hole behind them.

What felt like hours, but was only just a few minutes, Owen and Abby finally stopped and started catching their breathes. "Abby...you okay?" Owen asked between breathes when reality caught up with Abby. Then she whimpers a bit before she full on cries, Owen kneels down to her and wraps his arms around her as she starts to cry into his shoulder.

Owen was so lost at consoling Abby that he didn't hear footsteps coming. He turns, quickly, and goes for his gun but recognized the two people from their group.

"Owen!" Jordan said, relived, as he and the other member, Leah, comes up to him. "Holy shit, you guys are okay!" Leah said as she kneels down to them. "Did anyone else make it? Owen asked them and the couple give him a somber look.

"Damn it." Owen said, sadly, and Leah looks over at Abby, who was looking down. "Abby..." Leah said as she kneels down to her. Abby looks up at her and Leah could see her eyes was red and wet from the tears she was shedding. "Abby, I'm so sorry." Leah said and she goes to hug Abby, who starts to cry even harder and mourns the loss of her father.

But in the back of her mind, she made sure to etch in the names of the two men that killed her father. 

Joel and Tommy.

And their faces will forever be burned in her mind.