Chapter 1: If I Ever Were To Lose You

"I don't know what happened." Joel admits to Tommy as he starts to clean the neck of the guitar. The two brothers were out on patrol and decided to stop and take a break in this abandoned house, where Joel actually found two guitars. There, Tommy had to ask Joel what happened with the Fireflies as Joel seemed a bit tight lipped about what happened.

"I was suppose to take those kids to the Fireflies and walk away." Joel said before he let's out a small scoff. "You go halfway across the country with a couple of people. Elliot needed his immunity to mean something. Maybe I was starting to buy into that whole...cure business. Maybe I just wanted to do right by him. And then we made it." Joel explains as Tommy sits across from him, listen intently, as he hangs onto the second guitar for Joel.

"We found the Fireflies. And because of him...they were actually going to make a vaccine. The only catch...it would kill him." Joel said, whispering the last sentence. "Jesus, Joel." Tommy mutters, shocked, as he stares at his older brother. "What did you do?" He asked. Joel looks up at Tommy for a moment and replies. "I saved him." 

FLASHBACK 

"Sweet Jesus." Joel mutters as the young teen girl's jaw drops.

"Doctor?" A nurse said and the doctor turns to them and gasped. "What're you two doing here? I won't let you two take him. This is our future. Think of all the lives we'll save." The doctor said as Joel and the teen walk closer to him. "Don't come any closer. I mean it." The doctor threatens as he holds out a scalpel. 

Joel goes up to the doctor, takes the scalpel and stabs the doctor in the throat and (y/n) gasped, slightly. "No! You fucking animal!" The nurse shouts. "Kari, shut the hell up!" The second doctor said to her. "Please. I don't wanna die. Oh God...oh God..." The nurse begs as Joel disconnects the tubes and goes to pick Elliot up.

"Stay back!" (Y/n) yelled at her as she holds up her switchblade and Joel whispers to Elliot. "Come on, son. I gotcha..." As he picks him up, they look out the window to some lights shining through. "Oh shit." Joel said as they run towards the door, burst through them and run out of the hall.

Present Day

"Damn, Joel. That's um...that's a lot." Tommy said, sounding like this was a hard pill to swallow. Tomny looks down then back up towards Joel. "What does Elliot know?" He asked as Joel continued to clean the guitar. "I told him they ran some tests. I told him...his immunity meant nothing." Joel replied.

"And he believed you?" Tommy asked, curiously. "He didn't say otherwise." Joel said, softly, as he looks down. "And (y/n)...she okay with this?" Tommy asked. Joel stops cleaning the guitar, looks at the floor for a bit before he raises his head up and nods at his brother.

Flashback 

"April 28. Marlene was right. The boy's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of his immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients. We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles, we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back into control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain." the voice recording said as (y/n) listens to it while Joel drives them down the highway, Elliot still passed out.