63

I was dead wrong

I was dead wrong. All traces of the old Amancio seemed to disappear almost immediately. I felt awfully stupid, believing that Amancio was going through some sort of phase. It was obvious that Amancio had always been this way, he just had a scarily good way of hiding it.

Amancio had requested my presence at The Dark Lords' council meeting. I definitely did not want to sit at a table with the people who had planned Fiona's death and Carlos and I's imprisoning. They had divided Aridia, half of Aridia nowhere to be found. I tried my best to stay calm, to not cause a scene or go ballistic- in order to ensure Carlos' safety.

I still couldn't wrap my mind around the marriage but being forced to attend a rebel meeting was too much.

"I'm not going," I concluded, turning away from Imogen.

Imogen let out an exasperated sigh. "Madeline..."

I couldn't hold back the hot tears that burned in my eyes. "I've agreed to marry Amancio, I've attended the horrible meal with his evil parents. Now I have to sit in on a council meeting? I have to listen to the plans of people who ruined Aridia?"

"We didn't...ruin Aridia, Madeline," Imogen sounded like she was getting annoyed with me.

"Really," I folded my arms across my chest. "Because last time I checked, Fiona was dead- along with countless others. Aridians that don't want to be part of your stupid cult are nowhere to be found and I'm...stuck here."

"There are a lot of things you don't understand," Imogen fired back.

I wasn't going to bother asking her to enlighten me, as when it came to that she was mute. Instead, I asked her a question that had been on my mind for quite a while.

"Why are you a part of them Imogen?" I asked, quitely.

Imogen's eyes fluttered, she was taken aback. She licked her lips and avoided my gaze. "My father, he was one of the King's guards. He got sick, so he was sent home- he lost his job. My father served as guard since he was 18. 30 years later and the King couldn't care less if he rotted alone. We drowned in poverty. I had to steal to survive."

At that point, tears welled in Imogen's eyes.

"Imogen I...," I started, not quite knowing what to say.

"Save it Madeline. I'm not dumb. I know what being a Dark Lord entails. But I'm here for a reason," She said, sternly.

I hesitated, before nodding. There was no point arguing further. All I wanted to do was get through the council meeting and start planning my escape.

***

"Lady Madeline Prowess," The butler announced as he opened the doors into a room I'd never been in before. It was located in the Royal Wing and had large windows which allowed the sunlight to stream in. In the middle of the room was a vast oval shaped mahogany table, a miniature park* of Aridia in the center. Seated around the table were men and women dressed in dark colours who I guessed were The Dark Lords.