71

It was just like the day I was leaving for The Choice

It was just like the day I was leaving for The Choice. I got into the carriage and watched as tears streamed down my mother and sister's cheeks. Strangely, I had no tears- all I felt was anger.

I closed my eyes, clenching and unclenching my fist repeatedly as I let out soft breaths.

"Are you OK, Lady Madeline?" Imogen asked.

I sighed, opening my eyes. "Yes."

"Where are we off to now?" I asked, after a few moments of riding into the deserted town I'd once called home.

"King Amancio is waiting at the town square, where he will address the residents of Colgate," Imogen explained. She handed me cards, with medium sized black words printed on them.

"Good day citizens of Aridia, you may all know me as Madeline Prowess, one of the Nobles' Daughters that participated in The Choice. Today, I stand before you as Queen Madeline...," it read.

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "I'm not saying this nonsense."

"You should know by now Lady Madeline, that you do not have a choice," Imogen sighed.

I felt anger diffuse into my blood, making it boil even further. With each passing second my hatred for Amancio grew and grew.

I was so consumed in my thoughts, I hadn't noticed when we'd arrived at the town square. Colgate was not a big viscounty, so the town square was nothing to write home about. It was situated right in the middle of the town, at the point where 4 roads met.

A rickety old stage was set up in the middle, along with a podium carrying The Dark Lords' seal. A handful of people gathered by the stage, mixed emotions dotting their faces. Some watched The Dark Lords positioned by the stage warily while others' eyes were filled with excitement, whispering eagerly to their neighbours.

Amancio stood near the stage, discussing with his advisers. I looked away quickly, trying to have the least amount of interaction with him as possible.

As soon as I stepped out of the carriage, almost every eye was on me. The Aridian citizens whispered, eyeing me up and down, weighing my worth.

I kept my eyes on the ground as Imogen led me towards Amancio and the other Dark Lords.

"Has she received the prompts?" Amancio asked Imogen. Imogen nodded quickly.

I made sure to keep my eyes on the ground.

"Madeline," Amancio lowered his voice. "I trust you will heed to what is on the paper."

"Don't worry about it," I met his gaze, my lips pulling in a snarl.

Amancio mounted the stage and I stood, not too far behind as he grabbed the microphone.

"Citizens of Aridia, I stand before you today with a promise of hope, a promise of reform, a promise of change," Amancio started, fixing the Aridians with a confident look.