Chapter 1 - Life 1

" Nozomi-chan! Look! I got my quirk! "I heard the excited buzzing of one of the only people who didn't ridicule me for being quirkless. I turned to look over and smiled widely as he zipped around me in circles.

That is Hikaru, he's the only person here who hasn't been mean to me because I'm Quirkless. " That's so cool Hikaru-kun! " I exclaimed with joy as Hikaru continued to zip around my person in circles. But I couldn't help the small ache in my heart, Hikaru got such a cool quirk, I should be happy for him! Not jealous...

I hated this, I felt like such a horrible friend because it's not his fault that he has a quirk and I don't. " Don't worry Nozomi-chan! As your Hero I shall protect you from the Villains! " Hikaru spoke as he did a Hero pose as he grinned widely.

All I could even muster up was a weak smile, doing my best not to cry in front of him. He'd feel bad and I don't want to hurt his feelings, it's meant to be a happy time afterall, he manifested his quirk so why shouldn't he be happy about it?

" Thank you Hikaru-kun! " I spoke with a big, fake, smile on my face.

" It's no problem Nozomi-chan, you're my best friend after all! That's what friends do, they protect each other! " Hikaru replied as he held my hands in his while still keeping his bright smile on his face.

----------------

That was quite a while ago, now that I'm in Middle School I don't really care about people's comments on how I'm quirkless. Hikaru stands up to me from the bullies, he wants to become a Hero, and I support him on that.

So when he does become one; I'll be cheering him on as his #1 Fan, but, because I can't help like I wanted to when I was younger. I'm aiming to be a Doctor, if I can't rescue people as a Hero, then I'll save the injured and sick.

Sitting in our Homeroom class, I went over my flashcards.

Because if I wanted to get into Medical School then I had to pass the Entrance Exam, which meant a lot of studying for it. As well as passing in a good High School too.

" Morning Nozomi-chan! " I looked up from my flashcards and gave Hikaru a smile as he waved at me, sitting in front of me.

Hikaru knew my motivation was to get into Medical school, I had told him when I had first figured out for myself that it was what I wanted. So Hikaru has an understanding that if I want to pass, I need to be able to revise and so to just say hello when entering class.

That, and not to take it personally if I can't go out because I'm revising and studying. Not that he doesn't mind, considering it gives him time and motivation to work hard on studying to try and get into U.A., the Hero School he's aiming for.

But I know that Hikaru has a hard time focusing on one thing for very long, he's always on the move and is constantly active. It doesn't help that his quirk - Light Speed, which allows Hikaru to travel at the speed of light, complements his personality to a T.

He's determined to be a Hero, because a problem for a lot of other Heroes is that they couldn't get to the scene of a crime fast enough to prevent civilian casualties and injuries, he wants to help people from criminals and villains.

I truly admire that about him, hell, he's willing to stay from his norm and stay home to study. Though, he does mention how he doesn't know how I can sit in one place for hours on end to study. I just tell him that I make sure to keep out any distractions whenever I do.

Soon, homeroom started and I slotted away my flashcards into my card holder and slid it into my blazer pocket. The teacher was talking about how we need to think of our plans for the future, and I could take a bet that everyone in our class, except for me, wanted to become a Hero.

" But I know that the lot of you are just gonna try and make it as Heroes, correct? " The Teacher spoke, and everyone else started to shout, showing off their quirks.

I just stayed silent, my gaze travelling across the classroom being my usual.

Which was a very cold look, " And of course there is Sokudo, I'm not surprised that you're aiming for U.A. " The Teacher spoke. And chatter started, everyone was talking about Hikaru.

" His quirk is so cool! "

" It's so useful for Hero work and everyday use. "

But when Hikaru stood up, bright smile on his face, I wondered what he was going to say. " To be honest, I couldn't have even passed the Mock test without being motivated by Nozomi-chan. Her determination to become a Doctor is motivating me to do my best to study. I couldn't have done this without her! ".

And I wasn't expecting that.

Everyone's eyes shifted over to me. " Didn't she wanna be a Hero at one point? " I heard someone mutter, which started the chatter.

" I guess she gave up on that, with her being Quirkless and all. "

" Well, I guess being a Doctor could be the next best thing. At least it's more attainable for her. "

" I'd totally want her to my Nurse, definitely a piece of eye candy. "

That last comment was the last straw for me, eye candy!? I wanna save lives, not be something for pervs to lick their lips at!

Turning to face who had said that, my cold glare was now a lot darker and colder, it could even be mistaken for a look of intent to kill if someone didn't know me very well. Because this glare was threatening to throw my pencil at the bastard like a dart at a dartboard.

He visibly paled, eyes widening and visible trembling. Yes, I might be quirkless, but I for sure as hell ain't defenceless, I keep my pencils sharp for a reason. Hikaru sat down, noticing the look I had been giving one of the boys.

" Nozomi-chan, calm down. You look like you're about to attack him in a minute, " Hikaru joked with a bright smile. Looking over at Hikaru, my expression warmed and I let put a small sigh, putting down the sharp pencil that was in my hand.