Chapter 3: In the Backyard

While they're preparing for a party, Runa went to the backyard to get help from some of her friends: a group of five Chao. Two of them are Neutral Chao, the other two are Hero Chao while one of them is magenta and purple. You can tell by different colors of their friendship collars.

"You think you can help me?", she asked them in a soft voice.

"Chao-chao", they agreed.

"Great! Once we're done preparing, I'm gonna introduce them to my family and their honored guests", she said softly.

Unknown to her, Shadow peeked through the window and saw how she communicated with the Chao. His eyes widened in surprise as he was reminded of Maria.

A few moments later, he heard Aleyah telling him to get Runa's help since she's the maid of the family. He was slightly annoyed by Aleyah's courtship, but agreed anyways. He went to the backyard and walked to her giving her some space.

"Hey", he spoke up.

Runa turned to see him,"Oh, hey Shadow".

"You're sister needs help in decorating the party", he said in a blank expression.

"Oh, right. I was just getting help from my Chao friends", said Runa,"They've been so nice to me since I was taken in by my adoptive family".

"Hmm", he nodded as he now had a smile on his face.

"This is Rosy", Runa introduced to a neutral chao with her rosy pink friendship collar,"She's an innocent Chao. I thought it would be bad to leave her alone, so I decided to take her in".

"This is Mystico", she introduced to another neutral chao with a blue friendship collar, "He's a secret keeper. In the good times and bad, I'll always be able to tell him secrets".

"These are the hero twins, Juniper and Bearace", she introduced to the two hero chao as Juniper had a purple friendship collar while Bearace had a red friendship collar,"They're my defenders. They fought side by side whatever bad happens. They're like fearless adventurers who are always by my side".

"And last, bit certainly not least, my BFF, Shania", she introduced to a magenta and purple chao with a dark magenta friendship collar,"She helps me through a lot of obstacles and challenges. She gives me great advices, comforts me whenever I cry, etc. Overall she's like a sister to me".

As she said this, Shadow was speechless, meaning, he was again reminded of his sibling-relationship with Maria.

Suddenly, Runa sensed something wrong with him and felt sympathy for him, but she's not gonna tell him about her secret powers unless she trusted him to keep it.

We're the same, aren't we?, she thought.

A few moments later, she asked him, "Are you okay?".

Then, he was snapped out of the trance and said,"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just... you remind me of her".

Runa looked down, closed her eyes and again, felt sympathy for him as she knew what he was talking about.

"In the meantime, we need you and your Chao to help others decorate the party", said Shadow.

She nodded in response as they headed back inside to help decorate the party. Unknown to them, Aleyah was watching the entire scene from the window.