Chapter 10: Confession

Shadow arrived at the cottage only to see boys already gathered around for the event of Runa choosing a date and her adoptive family standing there, but she was not there.

As he headed among them, Aleyah squealed as she was so happy to see him again,"Shadow! What a coincidence! Are you here to tell me how you feel?!".

"Silence, girl!", he told her causing everyone to look at him in shock, then he asked her and her parents with a serious face,"Where's Runa? What did you do to her?".

One of the boys spoke up,"She cried while running inside the cottage".

As he said this, he nodded and went inside the cottage to look for Runa. Everyone looked at him as they felt like it was unexpected.

"Runa's right. This is something unexpected", Bruce stated.

Realizing what he's gonna do, Aleyah felt rage inside of her and told Bruce,"I'll go check on Runa to see how she feels".

As she said this, she ran towards her bedroom with Bruce calling out to her,"Aleyah, wait!".

As Shadow got inside, he heard crying upstairs. Assuming that it was Runa, he headed upstairs to go to her bedroom. At the door, he heard her crying with her chao friends trying to calm her down.

On the other side of the door, you can see Runa crying in bed with her chao friends trying to comfort her.

When Shania tried to calm her down, she looked up and stated,"It's no use, Shania. How am I gonna live a happy life with my family if they expect me to do something I don't?".

"Choo-choo-choo", Shania answered sadly.

"I just can't. It's all because of Aleyah trying to get close to Shadow. I tried telling her that he and I were just friends. Well, more like close friends, but...", she sobbed,"She wouldn't buy it".

Mystico asked her in chao language if she liked him more than a friend.

"Him? More than a friend? Why are you asking?", she asked with a small blush on her face,"We got along pretty well".

"Chao-chao!", Mystico stated.

"You're saying he seems to love me that much?", asked Runa.

"Chao-chao!", they all agreed.

"That was unexpected. I thought it would be good to treat him as a friend, but nowadays, he's going to treat me like... you know. More than a friend", said Runa as she made a thought to herself, Could it be? Do I really love him?

On the other side of the door, Shadow felt concerned and knocked the door. Then, he opened the door to see her crying in bed while looking down. He locked the door and window, walked over and sat on her bed to comfort her.

"Go away, Aleyah. I'm not in the mood to talk to you anymore", she said thinking it was Aleyah.

"Runa, it's Shadow. I need to talk to you", he said.

Runa wiped her tears and turned to him with his concerned face as more tears started rolling down her cheeks, then she asked him between sobs as she sat herself up,"Sh-Shadow. Wh-What are you... doing here?".

That's when he motioned for her to come to him and she slowly came and hugged him still crying. He hugged her back with one hand patting her back gently. With the chao, they hid in Runa's closet, but kept the door a little open, so that they could see the moment between the two hedgehogs without interrupting anything

"Are you alright, Runa? Why are you crying?", he asked her with concern.

"It's just that... Aleyah still has a thing for you, so she tried to do anything to break up our friendship and win your heart. That idea... includes forcing me to date someone... I just met", she explained between sobs,"That's... That's not how a true family treats me!".

He closed his eyes as she cried more on his chest fur. After a while, he spoke up,"Hey, Runa".

"Yeah?", Runa replied as she tried wiping her tears, but they're still rolling down her cheeks, then she looked at him.

"I need to tell you something. Something really important", he told her.

"What is it?", she asked him.

That's when he reached out his right hand and wiped her tears, which were still rolling down her cheeks. Then, his hands moved on to hers. Runa didn't know how to react. She just stood there, speechless, listening to his words and staring into his eyes.

"Runa. Yesterday has changed my life since I learned that you respect me for who I am. The more we communicate, the more we understand each other. You're the only one, who's not like your stepsister and knows what's best for me. I love you, Runa the Hedgehog", he confessed, then he leaned in and kissed her passionately.

Her eyes widened in shock for a few moments, then she wrapped her arms around him and kissed him back with a slight blush. As she did, they both continued to make out in bed.

With her chao friends, Mystico covered Rosy's eyes while watching them smiling at them. Shania secretly fangirled about it while Juniper and Bearace tried to cover each other's eyes.

Unknown to them, Aleyah peeked in and saw the entire scene, which got her angry, like really angry causing her face to turn red in rage. This time, she couldn't take it anymore, so she decided to prepare her punishment for her very own stepsister.