Chapter 26: Trial Basis

Hinata POV

We were only about halfway to the Aoba Johsai room when I felt like I needed to find Oikawa, and quickly. So with a quick, I have to go, thrown over my shoulder I started sprinting down the halls. Throwing the door open, every head snapped in my direction, but I was only focused on one. Oikawa sat in the middle of the room, surrounded by teammates, crying. I didn't like it, seeing him cry, it made my gut twist and clench in weird ways. It made me angry too, at whatever was causing his pain. I quickly made my way over, ignoring how the others watched, as I knelt in front of Oikawa and took his face in my hands.

"What's wrong?" I asked but he shook his head, like earlier he didn't want to tell me.....I understood though, so I did what he always did for me. "It's okay, I've got you...."

I then pulled Oikawa into my arms, and he clung to me, crying into my shoulder. It hurt seeing him like this, and what made it worse was I had no real clue as to how to calm him down. Thinking back I tried to do what he did for me, hold him tight, rubbing his back calmingly, run fingers through his hair, and whisper to him that it was going to be okay and that I was here. It was working, slowly but surely. Oikawa's tears started to dry down, and I held him even after they had stopped. That's when I started to notice we were not alone, I felt embarrassed but I didn't let him go. And soon he was dozing off in my lap........ That's when I finally paid attention to the other, and my anger soared.

"Does anyone care to explain what happened?" I asked looking around the room, they were all shocked and taken aback

"Hinata calmed down, nothing happened, Oikawa was just working through some things.... So stop glaring at everyone" Iwaizumi said, ruffling my hair, I looked around the room one last time before nodding and focusing back on running my hands through Oikawa's soft hair.

Shortly after that I reluctantly moved Oikawa to his futon, with Iwaizumi's help of course, since Oikawa was really heavy. Then after I was sure he was still deep in sleep I went and laid down in mine next to him. Though sleep didn't seem like it was my friend, causing me to stay awake for hours, I was sure I would never get any sleep until I felt the blankets shifting next to me. Next thing I know, Oikawa's arms are around me. Holding me flush to his chest, his head buried in the nap of my neck, his breath sending shivers down my spine as it tickled me. I should have elbowed him and forced him to move, or gotten up and moved myself. But I didn't, before I could even think I relaxed into his hold and then was out like a light

Oikawa POV

When I woke up I was confused, the last thing I remembered was crying in Shouyou's arms, and now I'm in his futon clinging to him....Nuzzling into his hair, taking a deep breath of his sweet scent, I thought about us. I loved Shouyou, and my actions have been painfully obvious since the beginning, because sure it had been to spite Tobio but it was more than that too. I've been so jealous and possessive over him, it's a wonder that Shouyou doesn't hate me even more.I wonder what he would say if I told him, how would he react, would he accept me.....maybe not now but in time? Iwaizumi's question, the one that seems to constantly nag at me, popped back up. Our future...... Now that I know I love him, I want so much, but what would he want. I haven't asked him, probably out of fear of him saying he wanted nothing to do with me. But I really hope that's not the case, even if he says he just wants a friendship relationship even though we're mates, it might be all I can hope for really.

"Oikawa." Matsukawa called

"Yes?"

"Are we waking Hinata up or letting him sleep?" Was it that time already?

"Why not let him sleep, you should stay with him." Iwaizumi said when I didn't answer

"But he-" I tried to say he would say I should go but he cut me off

"Hinata is exhausted, has been for a while, and so are you. I'll let the coach know you're gonna be late, just be there after lunch." Iwaizumi said before opening the door and ushering the rest of the team out of the dark room, before shutting it quietly, discussion done.

It's funny really, no one would expect Iwaizumi to be the caring type but he is actually really doting. Laughing slightly I hug Shouyou tighter and shut my eyes. But before I can go to sleep Shouyou shifts and starts stretching, waking up....

"Oikawa?" He mumbles out, I hum in response, "What time is it?" He asks

"Don't worry about it go back to sleep"

"But you have practice." Shouyou tries to sit up and protest but I hold him still in my arms

"I've been ordered to skip morning practice, now let's go back to sleep."

I think he listens, as he's quiet for a second. But then he starts shifting, turning around to face me. Opening my eyes I see him looking up at me, just barely able to make out his feature in the dim light from the window. He looks skeptical, like he wants to say or ask something but isn't sure.

"Um..." He starts and then looks away before looking back "I uh know I said we wouldn't, but uh I was thinking...." I froze as he was about to say what I thought he was going to say.

"It's really horrible isn't it?" I ask and he looks confused before realization hits and he nods

"So uh...just maybe on a trial basis....." He suggested and I nodded

"Sounds good." I replied, trying to remain calm but really I wanted to jump and scream of joy

"Okay." He agreed

"Shouyou there's something else i'd like you to try on a trial basis...." Maybe he would be willing, he really should be there anyways....

"What is it?" He asked skeptically

"I want you to play with us during camp, " I start and he's about to say something so I rush to finish "I know you've said you don't want to, but you belong there, and i'm sorry I took you away from your team, but will you at least try......please?" I add a silent plea at the end

"I-" He tries, I can see the tears in his eyes, he doesn't know what to say

"Why don't you take today to think about it, and let us know tonight, if you want to you can play the rest of camp or even just one day, okay?" I held my breath

"Okay i'll think about it." He said nodding

"Thank you."