-3- The end of the chat friendship

After another week went by in which I told neither my sister nor Yibo the truth, I decided to finally come clean. First I went to my sister and talked to her. She had become very angry and hit me several times on the back of my head. She screamed and kept asking me if I was completely stupid and had nothing but nonsense in my head.

I apologized to her again and again. But she remained unforgiving at first. She even told our parents about it and they really went crazy. My dad told me that I'm now only allowed to use my laptop when I have to get it for the university, otherwise I have to give it to my parents. This is my laptop, I bought it with the money I saved for a long time. But does my dad care? No!

The only thing I could do was to pretend that I still had to write a work for the college. I went to the game site, logged into my account and first thing I did was remove Yibo from my friends list. Afterwards I wrote him: "I am not the person you think I am and it is better if we don't have any contact anymore". That was all I could do. Because I heard my dad coming upstairs.

I sent the message as it was and turned off my laptop. My father came and took the thing with him. I even had to give up my cell phone.

To be honest, I didn't expect my sister to even involve my parents and be happy that I was punished like that. The funny thing was that my little brother bitched and asked: "Aren't you being a bit too hard on Zhan? He is 19 years old, you can't take away his own things. He bought all this with his own money."

But after my dad threatened to cash in his cell phone, he kept quiet. In the evening my sister came to me and told me that she had a bad conscience because she overreacted so much. She didn't want my things to be taken away from me right away. I didn't speak a word with her anymore.

So this was not only the end of the chat friendship, but also the end of the family peace. Now I am the black sheep again and I am not even allowed to sit at the table and eat with them. If I had the money for it, I would have moved into the dormitory.

Later that evening my parents came to my room and told me to stop following Wang Yibo like a puppy in heat and accept that he doesn't want me. My father even threatened to send me to another university if I didn't get Yibo out of my head.

I wish it were that simple. And even more I wish I was normal and not into men. That night I cried myself to sleep. Even my little brother took pity on me. We shared a room and he heard everything. He came to me, sat down by my bed, put his head on my shoulder and said, "I'm sorry ZhanZhan. I wish Mom and Dad weren't always so mean to you."

Without my cell phone I had no alarm clock anymore and had to ask my brother to wake me up. At 6 in the morning he woke me up and I decided to get out of my parents' way, so I took a shower, got dressed and took the first bus to the university. I know that my parents will be watching me very closely now and they will hold my mistakes against me for days. And I don't feel like it.

On the bus I couldn't even listen to music without my cell phone. I sat in the back and stared out the window. Maybe I should move in with my grandparents? But then my way to college would be even further. But then I would be able to live more freely than now.

When I arrived at the university, I sat under a tree and waited for Chuyue. Little by little the students came and among them was Yibo. When I saw him, I jumped up and hid behind the tree. I waited until he passed by and disappeared in the building for the engineers.

When Chuyue finally came, I told him what had happened and Chuyue looked at me in horror: "I understand if your sister got angry with you. But involving your parents is really beside the point. Especially when she knows what a difficult position you already have with them. And then she suddenly has a bad conscience afterwards? Whoever believes it will be blessed."

Chuyue knows my family and knows how hard it is for me there. Every little mistake I made and still make is immediately punished severely, while my siblings are only scolded for a short time. Even when my sister was caught, when she sneaked out of the house in secret at night and only came home in the morning with messy hair and dirty clothes, they only scolded briefly.

And once when I came home half an hour late, my father didn't let me into the house anymore and I had to sleep in the garage. As the middle child, it is not easy to have it that way. But my parents seem to hate me and love to take all their anger out on me.

We went to our art building together and prepared for the class when they said the professor was sick and the class was cancelled. We sat around the campus for two hours waiting for the next class to start.

And to top it all off, I was inattentive. Suddenly, Wang Yibo stood in front of us and looked at me in a sinister way. He said: "Tell your sister that I want to talk to her or she should write back to me. Let her read what I wrote her!" I nodded and couldn't get a word out.

As Yibo moved away, I dared to breathe again. "Shit, what am I going to do?" I asked Chuyue. I didn't know Yibo knew she was my sister.

"Don't ever tell your sister. You must read the message." Chuyue said.

"How am I supposed to do that? The site is locked at the university. You can't access it from your cell phone and I can't go online at home."

"Then you'll come to my place and use my computer."

"I can't, I have to go straight home from school. I have to heat up my brother's dinner and then I have to go to work."

"Damn. How will you know what he wrote to you?"

"I don't know. Anyway, it's better I don't read it. Then I'll just answer it again and this will never end."

"Yeah, that's true. Maybe you should just delete your account there when you get the chance. You didn't want to play the game anymore anyway and you were only there for Yibo."

"That's right. I just didn't know it was Yibo. But I think you're right. Maybe I can get online quickly at work and delete the account."

"Yes, but don't read the message. Log in, profile edit, delete account! Nothing more Zhan."

"Yes, ok." I said so and that's what I'm going to do. But, do I get to use the computer at work today?

I work part-time in an art gallery and earn a little money on the side. I haven't gotten pocket money since I turned 18 years old. I don't even get money for the bus ticket from my parents. So I have to work and earn money.

The owner of the gallery is very nice. He is already an older man. Most of the time he lets me clean the art objects and the exhibition room. Sometimes I am allowed to be present at conversations with artists or help him to pick up artworks from artists. Otherwise I bring drinks to artists and clients, pass the calls on to my boss or prepare new exhibitions with my two colleagues. I enjoy it, the pay is good and the working hours are great.

Before my boss became owner of a gallery, he had been a policeman. He worked as a policeman for 20 years and then decided that this is not what he wants to do anymore. He quit, took a loan and opened his own art gallery. And after some initial difficulties, things started to go really well for him. In the meantime he has long since paid off the loan and is earning very good money.

I hope one day I will become like him and start something of my own. Actually I always wanted to become an artist, make music, draw, something like that. But my parents were against it, because they said that as an artist I don't even earn enough money to buy a loaf of bread. I still study art and design. But I will probably look for a job as a graphic artist later. Or as a photographer.