-14- How it went on (Last chapter)

Yibo and his little sister left with us. My family even said goodbye at the airport and they promised to come and visit us. Only my sister said nothing. Maybe she just doesn't like the fact that I am gay.

After our arrival in America, my uncle picked us up. We drove Lena home and then to my apartment. I showed Yibo's sister her new, big and bright room and she cried with joy. Yibo also had tears in his eyes.

Within only one month we actually got married. Yibo had even proposed to me properly. He knelt down before me and said: "I never thought I would ever see you again. I never thought that I could be happy with you. I never thought that I would really be with the man I have loved since high school. So much has happened in the past years. Only one thing always remained the same, my love for you. No matter how many years passed, I always loved you. And now that we are finally a couple, I love you even more. I somehow always knew that you are the one for me and I know that you will always be the one. So, Xiao Zhan, I ask you, will you marry me?"

Of course my answer was yes. And only a short time later, we officially said yes.

The whole thing was seven years ago now, and I don't regret that it all happened so quickly. None of us knew if it would really work out. But we firmly believed in it and so far we are incredibly happy together. And we will remain so.

Unfortunately there was also a heavy blow of fate. After Yibo's little sister had settled in well, even developed and made great progress, she suffered a stroke, two years later, which was so violent that she fell into a coma. Only one week later she died without waking up again. Yibo was completely devastated by this and grieved for a long time.

She left a big hole. Because she was our sunshine. Even if it was sometimes difficult with her, especially when another attack was imminent, she was still the center of our life.

The biggest surprise, however, was when Lena's ex-girlfriend came here from Beijing and told Lena that she had left her husband when she realized that she still loved Lena and wanted to be with her. That was about three months after our visit to Beijing. Lena just had a new girlfriend and was torn between her new girlfriend and her ex-girlfriend.

I think it must have been about four months until Lena said to her ex-girlfriend: "I can't be your girlfriend. I loved you then and wanted to be with you. But life went on. I often fell in love again, but it's completely different now. I love my girlfriend and I want to be with her. I'm sorry, but I must reject you. Because my girlfriend is the woman I can imagine growing old with."

Of course her ex-girlfriend was not thrilled. She stayed in America as a doctor. Lena had no contact with her since then. She married her friend a year later and is very happy with her.

My brother is also married now. After the relationship with his girlfriend broke down at that time, he met a new woman and fell in love with her so much that after only six weeks he asked her to marry him. And she said yes. The two of them have a son together, who is desperate to have a sister.

Yanli and her husband, however, divorced. She really can't cope with the fact that I'm with a man. She told me openly that she is disgusted by me. What should I do? Her husband, on the other hand, did not share her opinion and did not want to be with a homophobic woman like her anymore. The result, he left her and filed for divorce.

We have a lot of contact with him and he came to visit us often. In the end it turned out that he is Bi Sexual and currently has a boyfriend. My sister is still looking for a man.

My parents kept in touch with us after Yibo and I went to the USA. They also came to visit us several times. But then my father became seriously ill. He had lung cancer. A year ago he died in hospital. Since then my mother has been living with my little brother.

I started my own business as a photographer and Yibo is my partner. He takes care of everything that has to do with office stuff and I make pictures and videos. Maybe I will never be as famous as my former boss, but I am still well known in the scene and get booked a lot.

Yibo and I have also been thinking for a while about adopting a child. But since we are busy enough with us and our work, we decided against it. Sure, a child would be nice. But to be honest, Yibo and I just need each other. However, we have adopted a small dog and a small cat from the shelter.

The parents of Yibo still get drunk every day. We are not even sure if they have even realized that Yibo has been living with me in America for seven years and is married to me.

They did not come to the funeral of Yibo's little sister. We even bought them plane tickets and sent them to them. When they did not come, Yibo called them angrily and asked them why they did not come. And his mother said, cold as ice, "It's none of our business." And I always thought I had bad parents.

Chuyue and I got back in touch. But after the baby was born, he didn't have time to get in touch again and the contact broke down again. I tried a few more times to get back in touch, but apart from his work, his wife and the baby, he just didn't have time. So I let it go.

On our seventh wedding day, Yibo and I got officially married again in Europe. At that time we had gotten married in Canada. We flew there, got married and flew back the same day. But this time it was different.

We flew to Europe, got married and stayed two weeks. Our first honeymoon. At that time we couldn't go because of Yibo's little sister. We were in Germany in the Black Forest, the Harz Mountains, Munich and Berlin and spent two more days in Cologne. It was just great.

Oh yes, sometimes when we meet strangers, Yibo's pathological shyness still gets through. Not often, but when it does, then properly. When I experienced this for the first time, I finally realized how hard it was for Yibo to pretend to be normal. He went for another therapy session and there the psychologist said that his childhood was to blame.

When I learned about the circumstances under which Yibo grew up and how badly his parents, especially his father, treated him, I was no longer surprised.

Our life is filled with love. I can no longer imagine being without Yibo. He is my first love, my great love and my true love. Surely there are many things we regret in relation to that time. But as I said before, we cannot change the past. We can only make our future better.

EGO POV YIBO

I would like to conclude with a brief comment. I am grateful every day that Zhan and I have been given another chance. For me, he is my world, my whole life. And I tell him that every day. I am glad that I am standing next to him now and no longer just behind him. I had to realize in a painful way that I cannot run away from my problems.

If I had looked for help earlier and not always acted out for everyone, I would have been able to tell Zhan my feelings much sooner. But this way, I had to wait seven years for that chance. I was so incredibly happy when we got together. And now, seven years later, I am even happier.

My life has not turned out the way I always imagined it would. It became much better. And with Zhan by my side and the friends around us, who all accept me as I am, calm and reserved, I look at people I wouldn't want to miss anymore. My life is for me, just perfect!

End