⋅. ✯ .⋅ Chapter 2 ⋅. ✯ .⋅

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

"Corruption turns one's soul dark and one's appearance monstrous..." Nightmare read aloud in his deep, typically intimidating voice. He found it rather interesting how his voice was formerly quite high and scared-like, but after corruption his voice alone would send even the bravest of souls crying for their mommies.

"Their outward kindness will fade, but intentions will never. The core of their soul will maintain no matter the happenings of corruption if they're truly pure, and thus if this purity begins to arise to the surface of their being their corruption will then begin to slowly disappear entirely—"

Nightmare gasps, marking the page with an octopus bookmark that Killer had gifted him on Christmas a few days ago after discovering his pretty conspicuous book stash.

He laid on his stomach, flipping the immense number of pages with a purple sparkle in his normally cyan eye. The pages felt like they would burn him if he was gentle enough with them, warning him not to miss a single word or else trouble would arise.

His blanket was on top of his back, allowing him to feel a slight amount of warmth through this frosty winter season. He's very ready for spring, considering the winter season is far too joyous for the kind of negativity.

Though the dialect in which the book uses is difficult to discern the meaning of, he could piece together that he was becoming more conscious of his 'kindness'.

Now, kind was never a word he was ascribed to, but he supposes it simply means that he's not a fully horrible person and has sprinkles of humanity left in him. This must've been clear when he felt empathy for Dream and wished for him to return to the brother he once knew.

He didn't necessarily wish to push that back down though, he didn't want to hurt anyone he cares about— ew, he's becoming soft isn't he? Disgusting.

"Nightmare, dinner's ready~!" Killer's annoyingly jolly voice sang from downstairs, his positive emotions made Nightmare curse in annoyance as he felt his power lessen.

He assumed that everyone else was already downstairs, considering that his name was the only one that was called. Oh well, he was staying up here whether they like it or not.

Nightmare ignored his continuous calls, flipping to a chapter titled 'two black apples'. It is read in a poetry format.

⋅. ✯ .⋅

'If one black apple is not enough,
Maybe two will satisfy your need to be tough?
But alas, what a foolish plan that would be
Considering the waste that would be of the tree.

Allow you to consider the consequences of that decision, for every apple you take requires precision.

Your strength will not heighten, but it will your lack of control
The apple will soon punish you for the lives you have likely stole'

. .

Er... so, it's not a good idea to eat a second apple?

"'The apple will punish you for the lives you have likely stole'... so almost everyone who digests a corrupted apple will commit murder?" Nightmare gasps lightly at what this would entail, Dream... no, he would never... but Nightmare thought that he would never do such a thing until his mind somehow convinced him and justified his cruel actions.

What the book seems to be telling him is that he will soon fully lose control if he continues to eat these apples... alright, so this makes it easy then. He just won't eat the apple and find another solution, Nightmare chuckled at his brilliance.

Did anyone really think he was stupid enough to eat it even though the book states clearly that it's not a good idea? Ha! Laughable, truly.

"NIGHTMARE, BOSS, TENTACLE GUY— WHATEVER YOU ARE, IF YOU DON'T COME DOWN YOUR DINNER WILL GET COLD!"

Nightmare growled softly at the last stupid nickname, his crew members always had to mock him for his tentacles, didn't they?

He could do it too! Like, Error is crybaby because the blue lines running down his face make it look like he's always crying. Killer would be cry baby number two, and Cross would be cry baby number three simply because he cries all the fucking time.

Anyways, back to his book. He needs to find out how to bring Dream back to normal most importantly. He could deal with being in his passive form if it meant Dream would be as well, he would do anything for his brother.

Happy memories filled his vision; memories of them sleeping with their heads rested together, memories of Dream defending him against bullies, memories of Nightmare assisting Dream with his academics, he could hear the innocent laughter echoing through his ears as he strayed further from the present reality and into the past...

He entered into his mind, his eyes turning empty and instead filling the space with a galaxy. It's like he was travelling through time and space. His vision was slightly hazy, but he could still discern his surroundings well due to his vivid memory of them. He knew that if he could see color in this place that it would be extremely vibrant.

He was on a hill, gazing afar at the apple tree where they spent most of their time. The world was in shades of gray. It smelt like home, like a place where he could feel safe and protected, no longer having to worry about meaningless things such as what method of torture should he use on his next unfortunate victim. The tree was beautiful, as it was before he destroyed the place.

Birds were fluttering about, chirping in their usual annoying way, squirrels were munching on acorns and lambs were chasing each other in a game of tag. Though the world was gray, he could still recognize the rainbow in the sky between two fluffy clouds.

He watched as his short past-self, crown atop his head and a purple prince shirt laced with gold, read a story to Dream to help him fall asleep, both smiling and radiating positive emotions— but he somehow didn't make him feel weaker. He actually felt... naked?

Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no!

He returned to the present, scooting back rapidly in a panic as goo dribbled to the floor, leaving a larger spot of his bare white bone near his eye. He was getting too kind, he's got to cover this up!

Undyne's eyepatch—! he scrambled towards the same unlocked cabinet and tore open all the drawers ruthlessly in search of this black eyepatch. He was filled with adrenaline, soul prancing erratically as his breath quickened to the point where he could very well pass out from stress.

He tossed the snow globe that Dust had given him behind him in search of the eyepatch, shattering it as well as the crystal monument of an octopus that he had received from Horror that he had carefully crafted. Glass sprinkled the floor, but Nightmare paid no mind.

Aha! Bottom right drawer, there it is. He snatched it without mercy and put it on, checking himself out in the glossy mirror to ensure that he looked as corrupted as possible. The relief he felt was extraordinary, like releasing piss that he's been holding in for hours.

There we go, a perfect fit! Nightmare smirked, winking at himself as he turned around, sneaking a glance at his butt, admiring it in all its glory. What a sexy skeleton-octopus he is, no wonder Cross falls to his knees for him—

"ALRIGHT, YOU'RE TAKING TOO LONG, I'M GONNA FART ON YOUR LASAGNA—"

Nightmare teleported immediately to the kitchen because he knew that Killer wasn't bluffing, he's done it before.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Word Count: 1314 words

Author's Note: Sorry about the end, I couldn't help it.