Chapter 1

Present Time

"Y/n."

"Y/n."

"Y/n!"

You snapped back to reality after only then realizing you were in a daze. You had just been thinking back to that fateful day when you met the love of your life. He wasn't actually the love of your life... you just decided to call him that. The snow had fallen that day, making it somewhat official, but otherwise the whole stuck-in-your-brain thing was a joke to you. It was a boy you didn't even know and yet your daydreams were obsessed with him. 

You clutched at the necklace around your neck. What was left of the small ice heart Shoto had give to you hung around your neck. You had it molded into a glass encasing so it could stay with you in memory. Not only that, but it was a beautiful heart... and you had promised he would be your favorite hero forever.

"Yes, Miss Todoroki?" Your highschool math teacher was standing at your desk with a piece of paper in her hand. Right. The recent math test you took. 

"Y/n, you've been spacing out so much in class. Is there something troubling you?" Miss Todoroki motioned to the bold F on the test paper. You frowned and blushed, embarrassed for the bad grade. What you wanted to admit was that you just sucked at simple math, although you knew your teacher would start up an argument of ways to disagree. Something like; Don't put yourself down, Y/n. Keep up a positive attitude and you can learn anything if your motivated enough! Although that sounds like a really encouraging statement, you knew things would be different for a teenager. Who was actually motivated to learn? The only thing you were motivated for was not disappointing your parents.

"No, nothing's troubling me," You nervously laughed, "I just need to work a little harder that's all."

Miss Todoroki titled her head and smiled, "Well, if you need any help or don't understand anything, I'll always be here to help." You nodded, thankful for her kindness. When she left, you blankly stared at the F on your paper. Your mom would be disappointed but not mad. You were positive she'd probably sign you up for tutoring, though. That's what you were afraid of. You'd rather figure things out on your own without having to embarrass yourself with another student's help. 

"Actually, I was wondering if there were going to be retakes?" You asked. 

"Yeah, I can arrange that."

You nodded and smiled. Although after this whole month of bullshitting all your assignments, you doubted that you'd be able to pass a test you knew nothing about, even if you studied your heart out.

"Tomorrow after school? Does that work?" Miss Todoroki asked.

You nodded. 

"Your family is coming over for dinner that day as well, so if you don't pass maybe we could arrange some tutoring."

Right... Your mom and your math teacher reached out to each other a little bit ago, realizing they should catch up on a lot of things after loosing touch in highschool.

"Okay," You sighed, really hoping it wouldn't result in that. You wanted to do anything but be tutored. And you knew your mom, she would be all in for the idea of it.

You began to pack up your things while Miss Todoroki kept talking to you at your desk, "I'm really excited to have your family over. I've missed Y/m (your mom's name) so much."

"I bet she missed you too. I'm happy you two are meeting up... she doesn't have much time to make new friends so it'll be good for her to have some free time," You chuckled.

"I have a brother around your age too. It would be nice if the two of became friends."

You cringed a bit at the thought. You still had a hard time meeting people who you favored these days enough to make friends. Maybe her brother would be different, though. 

"What school does he go to?" You asked. 

"UA. He's training to become a hero."

At that, you became more interested. Even after not having a quirk yourself, you still had so much admiration towards heroes, "Woah, that's so cool!"

Miss Todoroki nodded and smiled, looking around the classroom that the students were emptying out of for their next class, "I'll let you go. See you tomorrow, Y/n. Make sure to study."

You nodded, thanking her again for the opportunity for the retake.

✿✿✿

On your short way home after school, your mind was conflicted with either thinking about Shoto, the upcoming dinner, or the test. You didn't want to stress about the test, but the image of you failing wouldn't leave your brain. You wanted to study the best you could, but how were you supposed to cram in all the information? Plus it was a retake, so if you ended up passing, even with all of them right, it would still average up to about a C. You couldn't afford to get anything less than 100%. Not only did you want to achieve what you goal was, but you also know it was going to impress your mom. 

"Mom?" You entered your small house, not expecting to see her vacuuming around the kitchen. Usually she had work at this hour. 

"Hey, Y/n," she stopped her vacuuming and leaned on the kitchen counter, wiping her forehead. She looked like she had a long day and the house was spotless.

"Why are you home so early? Did something happen at work?" You hung your bookbag on the chair at the counter and sat down, resting your head on your hand. 

"It was a half day today... and with all the extra free time, I decided to start decorating for Christmas," she motioned towards a few old boxes that were labeled Christmas. You smiled, remembering your favorite holiday was approaching. 

"Can I help decorate?!" You exclaimed. 

Your mom chucked, "Only if you don't have any homework."

Frowning, you thought about the test retake you had tomorrow, "I have to study... Can we pick out a tree together soon, then?"

"Yeah! Of course," Your mom smiled, "I was planning on going this weekend if you didn't have anything planned."

You shook your head, it wasn't like you had anything to do with anyone, plus you would have a lot more fun going tree shopping.

You hopped off your chair ready to go to your room, "We're going to dinner tomorrow right? With the Todoroki's?"

"Yes, could you come home a little sooner tomorrow? Walk fast or something? I wanna make something to bring over there."

"Okay, I'll just retake my test during lunch."

"Wait. Retake a test?" 

Your eyes widened and you quickly turned, "Did I say test retakes? I-I mean...!"

Your mom laughed, "You better study your ass off and ace that thing!"

You chuckled and nodded, escaping to your room and shutting your door behind you. Right... how were you supposed to study with load of things on your mind. You wanted to be anything but a disappointment to your mom, the only family you had. After having you at such a young age, she lost a lot of trust from her family and friends. It left you not wanting to do the same with her. Hopefully you could make her proud with this.

✿✿✿