Chapter 2

Miss Todoroki kept catching your eye during lunch. It made it awkward that she knew you were going over for dinner tonight, it was something you couldn't stop thinking about. Even though you had known a while in advance, the day of still made it nerve-racking. Why did it have to be during your test retake of all times that you were distracted!? You had studied until your hand hurt like hell. And you didn't want all that hard work to go to waste.

"Five minutes left on the test. You two should be finishing up by now," Miss Todoroki said. 

You tapped your pencil against the table. You had no choice but to cram in the answers before time ran out. You could only hope that some of them were right. But what else could you expect? It wasn't like you really thought you could end up passing right? It was just a stupid goal you could never achieve. 

"Time."

Dammit. You didn't even fully finish. You pursed your lips when you had to turn in your papers. You felt so ashamed turning in such pitiful work. Your original was probably better. 

"Thanks for letting me retake the test, Miss Todoroki," You nervously smiled, "Although I'm ashamed to say I don't think I did that well."

"Did you study, Y/n?"

You nodded, "Yeah... Maybe I just wasn't in the right headspace today, though."

Miss Todoroki frowned, "That's unfortuante, I'm sorry. That's why I was requesting some tutoring. If it makes you feel any better, I could be the one to tutor you."

You actually didn't mind the sound of that. You felt much more comfortable with adults anyway. And it wouldn't be embarrassing, "Actually, that sounds fine."

"Really? I'd love to then!" 

"Wouldn't that take up a lot of your time, though? I know as a teacher, you probably don't have a lot of time."

"Well your mom would pay me. Plus, you can grade papers for me!"

You nodded, feeling less guilty to be helping her out as well, "Okay!"

"You'd probably meet me somedays after school... Tuesday and Thursdays?"

"That works for me," You smiled. Any day would've been fine, although to be honest, you felt a little awkward about going to her house.

"You should go enjoy the rest of your lunch, Y/n. I'll see you for dinner," Miss Todoroki said, shooing me away. 

You smiled and bowed, "Thank you so much, Miss Todoroki. I hope you enjoy the rest of lunch. See you!"

✿✿✿

When you got home, your mom wasn't home yet. You were planning on telling her about the math retake as soon as you could. You didn't want her to find out you failed before you told her. There was a slight chance you could've passed, but you highly doubted that. You didn't want to have built up anxiety of telling her you failed, so you might as well tell her as soon as you could. 

Without her home, you had time to get ready and prepare. This probably wasn't a formal dinner, but you knew it would be impolite to dress down. And you enjoyed dressing up once in a while, after barely doing much and only wearing a school uniform.

After taking a shower and blow drying your hair, your mom came home. She looked tired, but still excited for tonight's plans. 

"Oooh! You smell good! What perfume is that!" you mom asked as you walked past her in a towel.

"It's the one you gave me for my birthday," You smiled. Then you remembered what you had been dreading. The conversation you needed to have with your mom. 

"So... I think I failed my retake," You sighed, just letting it out easily before you could over think it.

"What?? Really?" Your mom pouted and you nodded, ashamed. 

She sighed and played with a chip on her nail, "That'll bring your grade down a ton, won't it?"

"Probably," You admitted, "I'm disappointed. I studied so hard!"

"I know! You were working so hard."

The both of you shook your head in disappointment. 

"Have you ever considered tutoring?" Your mom suggested. 

"Yeah, actually. Miss Todoroki said she can tutor me after school Tuesdays and Thursdays."

Your mom smiled, "That's so nice of her! I'll talk to her about it more during dinner." She then must've noticed your frown and cleared her throat, "Don't be too down about the test, 'kay? I appreciate you tried your hardest."

You smiled, so thankful your mom was supportive like this. You felt a warmth in your chest, "Thanks, Mom."

"Go finish getting ready. We're leaving in ten minutes!" Your mom exclaimed as she skipped into her room. 

"Alright!"

✿✿✿