3

That awkward moment when someone says, "You two should go out!" and you're like, "I wish." -Pinterest

***

With my heart pounding, I kept my eyes glued to my desk. A sudden fascination at the grooves and dents on its smooth surface held my attention.

He was talking to Professor Layton. I could hear his voice from where I was sitting, but I couldn't understand what they were talking about.

He was wearing an open dark blue jacket over a white t-shirt, black sweatpants and battered Nikes. A black backpack was slung over his shoulder.

How did I not notice yesterday how tall and lean he was?

Because I was busy ogling his face. How shallow was that?

Very, very shallow. Bad, bad Parker.

He must be over six feet tall and an athlete, I deduced, as I took in the sculpted lines of his exposed forearms. He was holding a piece of paper in front of him as he explained something to the professor. There was a bored look on his face as he raked his hand in his hair.

He must be a new student, just like I was a few months ago when I moved to this town with my family. The first semester was already more than halfway through, so he would need a lot of catching up to do. I bet he wouldn't have trouble finding a tutor.

All the girls were staring at him with goo-goo eyes.

Just like you? my subconscious pointed out.

I saw Misty take out her phone and pretended to take a selfie. But from where I was sitting, I could tell she was taking a perfect shot of him.

What was his name?

"His name is Noah," Ruth answered my unspoken question.

What? How did she know that?

"He was a senior last year, but didn't graduate."

He was? I had so many questions, but I held them all inside... for now.

Noah... I really liked his name.

"Was he the guy you saw at the clearing?"

I nodded.

"Stay away from him, Parker."

"Why?"

"He's bad news."

"But why—"

I trailed off as the professor pointed to where I was sitting and, again, his eyes zoomed in on me.

Like a magnet, I thought, as I felt the pull of his gaze. How could I feel pulled in and wanting to pull away from his gaze at the same time? But I forced myself to do it.

What the hell was Professor Layton pointing at me for? And why did Ruth warn me to stay away?