Chapter Two

"I think I know where you are." Alicia spoke softly through the radio, holding the map in her hand and glancing down at it. "I'm not that far away, I can come and get you."

"You're coming?" Clarke asked, slightly surprised that a complete stranger would go out of her way to help somebody she didn't even know anything about.

"You said you needed help." Alicia replied simply, shrugging her shoulders and dropping the map into the passengers seat of the car.

"I'm not surrounded anymore, one of the pylons fell during the wind. I'm sure there is only one of those things at my window." Clarke responded, not really sure why she was trying to stop the girl from coming to get her when she desperately wanted to see another person. Maybe it was because of that voice, that voice that sounded even more familiar than it had the first time she heard it. She longed to hear it again.

"Well, you said you didn't know where you were and I'm assuming you're alone." Alicia added, before starting her car and driving in the direction of Clarke.

"You're not wrong." Clarke reported, hearing the car rumble in the background. "Are you alone?"

Clarke hadn't meant to be pushy, but she couldn't help being curious, especially after everything she had seen in this new world. There was a long silence before Alicia replied, and for a while Clarke didn't think she was going to speak again.

"Yeah. I'm alone. It's just easier that way." Alicia sounded different as she spoke, as if she was thinking and not really hearing herself speak. "Do you think you can find the road? It should be opposite the river you saw earlier. You'll be walking for a while, but I'm going to try and find you before dark."

The early morning sun had started to rise and Clarke was shocked how long she had slept peacefully, only now feeling the pain in her muscles after sleeping awkwardly against the wall.

"I'll find it, but I won't be able to talk to you. How will you find me?" Clarke inquired, glancing at the window to find that that thing was still pressed against it.

"There is only one main road near you, if you find it I will find you." Alicia replied truthfully, before speaking once more in a more serious tone. "And Clarke?"

"Yeah?"

"Take a weapon, one that's quiet. The walkers are attracted by sound and always attack the head, it's the easiest way to kill them." Alicia explained calmly.

"Walkers?" Clarke questioned, not knowing the word, but she assumed that Alicia was talking about those things. Alicia was baffled for a second before she replied.

"That's what we've always called them things."

"Okay. Thank you, Alicia."

"Stay safe, Clarke." The radio went silence and Clarke turned it off, she took a deep breath before moving away from her safe corner and leaving the room.

She searched the house thoroughly, until she found a spacious, dark green rucksack, that she filled with supplies. Clarke found long life food, bottled some clean drinking water, packed a slightly used hairbrush and a toothbrush she found in an open pack of toothbrushes, a small sketchbook and a couple of charcoal pencils. She finally grabbed the sharpest knife she could find and a dark blue hoodie from the master bedroom. She pulled it over her head and felt instantly warm as the soft fabric touched her skin. Clarke looked in the dusty mirror and noticed that the fabric was pretty baggy on her, but it would do to keep her warm. She then slipped the bag onto her back securely and removed the barricade from the door quietly, trying not to make any noise.

Clarke gripped the knife tightly as she left the little cabin, she walked into the dense forest and glanced at the rising sun. She wearily watched her surroundings and set off in the right direction, she hoped. Clarke found that the early morning forest was surprisingly quiet, she found herself relaxing and gazing up at the full trees. They reminded her of a simpler time, when she was surrounded by everything new and exciting. She remembered back to the first time she had ever seen a tree, and how breathtaking she found them. She had dreamed about the ground and the trees before she had ever seen one in person, and nothing she could have imagined even came close.