Chapter Sixteen

"The car's here." Teddy called to the other's, who were gathered around a table, planning how to escape the library without being caught in the walkers. Clarke could feel her ankle throbbing and she knew if she put much weight on it, it would buckle. She looked uneasily at Jack, seeing the look of concentration on his face. Getting out wasn't going to be easy, but as long as Alicia got to the car safely, Clarke didn't care. 

"Alright, Alicia, Teddy, take out the walkers in front of us. I'll help Clarke to the car." Jack stated, after confirming that there was no other exits they could take safely. 

"But.." Alicia started, ready to state how she wanted to help Clarke, knowing that she would fight the hardest to get her to the car. 

"Alicia you're the best at killing them, you can't help me. Just get to the car and I promise I will as well." Clarke let her blue eyes gaze into Alicia's with so much raw love that Alicia was took back, she nodded slowly unable to form a coherent sentence while the beautiful blonde looked at her that deeply. When they heard the shots from outside they knew they had to move quickly or even more walkers would be outside. They followed the plan. Alicia went out first, killing each walker in her path with precise movements and lethality. Clarke couldn't help but admire her, even though it wasn't the best time to do so, she just looked so captivating to the blonde. 

Teddy followed, killing a good amount of walkers with a little more clumsiness than Alicia. Jack helped Clarke to the car, as they were covered by his girlfriend killing the walkers that blocked their path. They slammed the truck doors once they were inside, the walkers overwhelming them as the truck was surrounded. Jack's girlfriend revved the engine and they sped through the walkers, killing the ones that blocked their path. The truck struggled over them, but eventually hit solid ground with the walkers groaning behind them. Clarke let out a breath she hadn't realised she was holding and looked at the girl besides her, Alicia's wide eyes were glued to the walkers fading into the distance and then met the blonde's eyes. A relived smile broke out onto her face, leaving Clarke breathless. 

"I was so worried we wouldn't get out of there." Alicia whispered, her forehead resting against Clarke's. Clarke didn't reply, settling for a soft kiss on the other girl's plump lips. Clarke fell asleep on the ride home and Alicia couldn't take her eyes off of the sleeping girl, she had almost lost her. She couldn't imagine her life without the blonde, everything had changed since she had arrived. Alicia had changed. They arrived home and Clarke woke up, coughing a little as she did. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, are we back?" Clarke rubbed her soar eyes and glanced around them. 

"Yeah." Alicia replied, her nervousness coming into her voice, she knew there was a lot that herself and Clarke needed to go over.

Jack, his girlfriend and Teddy left them after they talked over what happened. Teddy was hesitant to leave, worried Clarke would go off again, but Alicia assured him that she wouldn't take her eyes off the blonde. Alicia slipped her arms around Clarke and helped her into the house, Clarke started to cough as they walked, pain shooting through her body. Alicia helped her to the sofa, a crease in her brow as she did, lowering Clarke softly down. She noticed the sweat on the girls body and how her skin had turned a slight yellowy tone. "Clarke?" 

Alicia's voice cracked and her heart started pumping faster, causing her chest to feel tight. Clarke pulled herself up on the sofa and looked at the brunette with a sad smile. 

"I'm sorry." Clarke whispered and Alicia sat down next to her, placing her soft hand on Clarke's clammy cheek. 

"For what, Clarke?" Alicia was afraid of the answer, she willed her suspicions to be wrong. Her heart crumbled when she saw the blonde pull up her sleeve and showed her the very deep bite mark that sat on her skin. Her black blood crusted around it and the infection visible just underneath her skin. "No.." 

Clarke wiped away Alicia's tears as the girl lowered her head onto Clarkes shoulder, closing her eyes and dismissing what she had seen. She shook her head, unable to speak as she tucked her head closer into the blonde. 

"Alicia." Clarke whispered her name so softly that it broke everything inside of Alicia. "I need you to know that I.." 

Alicia knew what she was going to say and she shooshed the girl softly, knowing that this was Clarkes way of saying goodbye and she wasn't ready for that. 

"No, I can't accept this and I won't." Alicia sat up, gazing into the blue eyes of her lover. "I can't loose you. There's so much I haven't said, so much you need to know." 

"What do you mean?" Clarke asked, confusion evident in her gaze. Alicia couldn't think, she couldn't reply. All she could see or think of was the bite that sat on Clarke's arm and that very soon the girl she had fallen for wouldn't be herself anymore. "I need to leave Alicia, I can't risk turning while I'm here." 

"No." Alicia shook her head, more tears clouding her vision. "Please don't leave me." 

Clarke pulled Alicia to her and kissed her. Through the kiss she expressed everything she couldn't say, everything she felt for Alicia as well as everything she felt for Lexa. It was the last time Clarke would get to touch her, to kiss her and to see the face she had been in love with since she was back in Polis. This was Clarke's goodbye. 

"I'm coming with you." Alicia whispered when they broke apart, Clarke immediately shot her down. "You can't stop me. If you turn, I turn." 

"No Alicia, you have your brother back and he has a family now, your family. And you can help these people, you're a leader and these people look up to you. They will survive because of you and I can.. I can die peacefully knowing that you're safe." Clarke whispered her words, each one of them hurting her. 

"No." Before Clarke could speak Alicia continued. "Not this time. This time I don't owe anything to anyone but you. I want you." 

Clarke was speechless, she didn't know if her words were a coincidence, but something in Alicia's eyes showed Clarke they weren't. 

"How?" Clarke whispered, she didn't have to ask anything else, knowing that Alicia understood what she meant. How could Alicia know those words, how could she know what Clarke had said to Lexa while she laid dying in her arms. 

"I.. I have these dreams.." Alicia replied unsurely, as if she couldn't fully understand the images she had seen or the feelings she had felt. "I need you, Clarke." 

"Okay." Clarke's voice and gaze was soft, letting Alicia relax against her. They knew all the doors were locked, they knew Popeye was still safe and they knew that whoever came looking for them would notice the letter Alicia left taped to the door. They held each other, knowing they didn't have enough time to talk about everything that was happening and knowing that it didn't really matter either. This was their end, their goodbye. 

---

Word Count: 1249