Chapter 13

WARNING: This chapter contains violence and subjects that may be triggering for some individuals.

ALEC
CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Her voice is so full of light, I can almost hear her smile over the phone. She doesn't stop talking, blessing me with details about her day.

Posy tells me how her nursemaids Merrah and Finn are teaching her to swim by herself, and how she spent most of the day running in the gardens with her friend Nisha. By the sounds of it, I'd say her day surpasses mine undoubtedly.

I'm pleased that my sister is so happy. Posy deserves every bit of kindness and good fortune in this world. The Earth should fall at her tiny feet, the wind needs to bend at her whistle, and the tides should bow at her command. There is no amount of negativity in this world that could possibly bring my baby sister down.

"And guess what, Alec!"

"You sprouted a tail and turned into a lizard?" I tease.

"No! Really, guess what!" Her little giggle bombards me with emotion.

"What?" I ask, beaming.

"Okay, you can't tell Papa, but today Madam Roy brought her pet parrot into the palace, so that I could hear it sing. It didn't have a very nice voice, but I got to pet it." She laughs some more as she recalls the details of the story.

I wish I had been there to see the look on Posy's face as she met her favorite animal. If only my sister could actually see the creatures she loves so much. I wish that more than anything she could watch them fly or see the bright colors of their feathers. I hate the thought of her being stuck in this darkness that dominates her sight, though she is stronger for it.

"Maybe you should ask Madam Roy to bring the bird again sometime, so that you can give it some singing lessons."

Posy squeals at the idea. If there is one thing she loves more than parrots, it's singing.

A knock sounds from the door. I really wish that everyone would learn to leave me alone at this hour. It is the only time I have to call my sister and I am already in my night clothes.

I rise from my bed, feeling the aches of today gnawing at my tired bones as I slide out from under the comfort of my silk sheets.

"I have to go, kiddo. I will call you at the same time tomorrow. Okay?"

"Aww, fine. Dream sweet dreams!"

"Have a good night, Posy."

She hangs up first, probably eager to have her maids read her a bedtime story.

I set the phone down on the nightstand and run my hand over my tired face. I'm still sore from when Elle decided to attack me earlier.

I deserved the attack, but it definitely hurt. The Healers got rid of the swelling and bruises, so I am in less pain. But the disappointment she felt in me still stings like hell.

The knock sounds again. I make my way to the door. It lets out a creak as I swing it open. My stomach drops as I see who is waiting for me on the other side.

"Lieutenant Mikkelson." I can't keep the surprise from my voice. If he is disturbing me at this hour then something must be wrong, and the look on his face tells me that my assumption is correct. His skin is red and drenched with nervous sweat, and he reeks of panic. "What is the circumstance of this visit, Lieutenant?"

The man is heaving to catch his breath. "Your Majesty, I—"

"Breathe, Mikkelson. It's all right." I place my palm to his shoulder, but the action nearly knocks him off his legs. I forgot how most people are afraid of my touch and don't expect kindness from me. Suddenly embarrassed, I remove my hand before the poor man has a heart attack.