Chapter 40

JOSEPHINE
CHAPTER FORTY

Carder's closet. That is what this is like. My worst nightmare all over again. The worst time of my life is being replayed before me. The dust, the walls, the door.

There is no use in pleading or trying to break free from these iron doors. I know how this goes. No matter what you offer, no matter what you threaten, your words mean nothing to them. Captors have their own agenda. I might as well sit tight while I wait for it to unfold.

So I sit against the back corner, finding comfort in braiding my hair over and over and over until my fingers start cramping and my hair becomes a knot. But I don't stop, continuing to count every time the braid reaches the end and I untwine the strands just to start again.

Braid number 892.

893

894

895

As time goes on, the numbers blur together, but I still hear my mind whisper the number 1,000 past my consciousness.

"Josie," Saskia's voice echoes through the stone walls of my cell. I try not to startle and remain seated. "You need to eat, Josie."

I cringe at her words. Carder said that same thing to me. So many times. "Like hell I do," I bark out the words I said to him, untying my braid to start again.

1,001

Saskia clutches the bars of my window to the hall so that her face is right in my line of sight. Her beautiful features, those warm blush-pink eyes boring holes through me. I focus my gaze on my hair, ignoring the look of utter concern in her expression. "You need to eat," she says a bit more sternly.

"Why? So you can poison me with the drug you put in my food?" I snap, jumping to my feet far too fast. My vision darkens and I stumble back, falling against the wall for support.

The sound of the lock clicking open catches my attention and Saskia comes barging in, shutting it behind her. She reaches out to help steady me, but I shake my head, slumping down onto the floor with my head tilted back against the wall.

She runs a hand through her short hair. I can't help but watch her move. She lowers herself to her knees in front of me and pushes the tray of lasagne and juice my way. "I'm not leaving until this plate is emptied."

I cross my arms over my chest, staring her down. "What happened to the shy Serf girl who was scared to eat my food? What happened to the girl I saved from the palace guard?"

She rolls her eyes and tucks a knee up her chest. "People can change, Josie. I got tired of always being the one who needed saving." When her eyes meet mine again I find it hard to hold her stare. "If you're into shy girls who can't defend themselves than you do you, but that is not me anymore."

A slight smirk curls my lips. "Badasses are more my speed actually." I pause, watching as she sucks her lips in nervously. "I like it when a girl can keep up." A wink from me.

She is quiet for a moment before pointing to the tray of food. "There won't be anything for me to keep up with if you starve yourself."

I reach forward and brush a thumb over her chin, she swallows hard as I tilt her head up to look me in the eyes. "I never said I wanted you to keep up with me. Typically the people I like are not the ones responsible for holding me captive, Saskia." I drop her chin and her face flushes red. "If you wanted me, you should have thought of that before shooting me with a sedative."

She pulls herself to her feet. "You say that like you think I had a choice."

"There is always a choice," I say slowly, letting my message sink in. The message my father taught me to live by. "Only cowards settle for the options they are given."