Chapter 37

WESLEY
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

I am covered in so much sand that pyramids and castles could be made out of the grains that lie  on my skin. Each step into the forests is scratchy and itchy as the particles scrape against each other beneath my clothes. I waddle awkwardly to keep my legs from rubbing together.

"Ash," I whine, drawing out the vowel of her name like a child.

She halts our descent up the hill. A giant, moist leaf smacks me in the face when I take a step toward her. I swear that the monkeys laugh in the distance as I spit the drops of water from my mouth and bat my arms to get past the plant.

"I am starting to think that the beach and the jungle should not become regular makeout spots," I complain, dusting my trousers off.

She looks me up and down, admiring the mess of my hair that her hands have wandered through and the rumpledness of my once clean attire.

"Come on, you big baby." She grabs my hand and leads me deeper into the jungle.

I groan in response and saunter after her. "Whatever secret spot you read about, better be worth it, because I do not do well in this environment and I'd prefer not to get eaten this early in the morning."

The thought of what must lurk around us has my adrenaline pumping within the walls of my veins. However, these past few days have been heavenly and despite the mosquitos and heat, I wouldn't rather be anywhere else.

"It's right up here, Wes," she answers, giving me a flashy smile before climbing up over slick rocks.

We come to an opening in the jungle's leafy barriers. For the first time in just under an hour, the sun is visible. But it isn't the light that catches my eye.

Water as glittering as diamonds, rushes from atop a massive waterfall. The liquid pools at the bottom in a bright, blue lagoon surrounded by the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen. They vary in all different colors and shapes, but each one comes together to form a vibrant wall around this magical little pool. My mouth falls agape as I stare in awe.

Damn the Subblands for being such a paradise.

I turn to Ash to find her watching me. A warm grin on her face as she takes a step forward toward the edge of the little cliff and waves sheepishly before jumping off. My heart skips a beat as I watch her small body plummet into the water below.

"Ashlynn!" I shout, peering over the edge. For a moment all I see is the ripple in the water from where she landed, but after a grueling second, a blonde head emerges with a cocky smirk.

"Jump, Wes! The water is warm," she calls up, swimming around in circles.

My eyes go wide as I take note of the distance between the water and the little cliff in which I stand upon. "Nah, I'm good, thanks," I reply, crossing my arms over my chest as I watch her float about. "Isn't there some saying . . . 'if your friends jump off a cliff, that doesn't mean you should too'?"

Ash frowns. "I don't think that is how it goes." And with that she swims over to the waterfall and hoists herself up onto the rocks. To my surprise, she begins to slide her shirt over her head, revealing her breasts and violet bralette beneath the fabric. Her eyes remain fixed on the water in front of her, as if she doesn't need to see my reaction to know how much her beauty cripples me. I lose myself as her shorts drop to her feet and my eyes threaten to roam over the matching, violet undergarments that sit high on her waist.

Ash takes a step under the pouring water, letting it rush down her body and soak her hair.

"Come on, Wes. The secret spot is no fun if you never get to see it." And with that she takes another step backward, this time disappearing through the waterfall.