Chapter 50

JOSEPHINE
CHAPTER FIFTY

I twiddle my thumbs nervously as I wait, sitting atop a tall tree at the brink of the grand forest. A position that grants me a full view of Rivara's luxurious palace of gold and marble.

A storm has taken shape. Purple lightning flashing rhythmically within the gates. I can't help but smile. It has been far too long since my friend has had access to that part of himself. If only I could be down there with them.

The sky begins to rain, heavy drops pelting down on the grass and mud below, but the leaves above my head offer some coverage from where I am perched atop a thick branch.

Any minute now. They should be here any minute.

It took little convincing from Gore to get me to agree to this backup plan of his, but I'll admit, I'd much rather be helping my friends directly. Who knows what could be happening down there? What if something goes wrong and I don't make it in time?

This is a good plan and my friends know what they are doing, I reassure myself. The odds of us failing are average, but I have my hopes. I have to have hope otherwise I am breaking position and charging down there to take matters into my own hands. Which doesn't seem like such a bad idea, except for the fact that I am not ready to risk more of my birds.

Keeper, the voice of Stella, one of my ravens, hums through my mind with a vibration. Our side has surrendered to Keaton and Titus. They have taken your friends prisoner.

I jump to my feet, hugging the trunk of the tree to keep from slipping as I try to view what is going on in the courtyard, but it's too far away and the gates around it are too tall.

Stella flaps toward me, coming into view. She lands on my shoulder.

"How long ago?" I ask, stroking her feathers with the back of my knuckle.

Just now, she sings. The hawks just gave me word.

I look toward the palace again, noticing that the lightning has eased into a natural rumble of thunder above, signaling that what my birds tell me is true. Alec has stopped fighting, which means we are losing.

I curse under my breath. "The backup isn't here yet. How long do we have until Keaton kills everyone?" I don't even have to ask to know there will be an execution. It's the brutal truth with Nobles. Killing each other is often what people resort to as punishment.

Less than a few hours, she replies. Keaton scheduled the event for dusk.

I shake my head in frustration. My family should be here soon but we are running out of time. If this is going to work, I may have to jump in before everything gets out of hand.

Carefully, I hook my arms around the lower branch and swing to the next one, climbing down the tall length of the tree, one branch at a time.

A memory throttles me. One of that day in the woods. I remember clearly how I had climbed the trunk of a tree, looking for a bird nest and was yanked off by rough hands. My knees scraping, a palm closing over my mouth as I tried to scream.

I inhale deeply to calm myself and breathe out the memory, letting it wash away with the rain.
My feet splash in the mud as I land, boots first on the ground.

Stella flies after me, landing on my shoulder again. Your family is close, Keeper.

Part of me wants to jump with joy at the thought of a reunion. It has been months since King Titus and Alec invited me with them. I haven't seen any of my family since. The separation is difficult, reminding me of when I had been kidnapped and how terrible the pain of missing them was. But another part of me knows that what we are about to do could end very badly. And I don't know if I have prepared myself enough for that possibility.