Chapter 30

WARNING: This chapter contains content that may be too inappropriate for younger viewers. Mature content warning.

ELLE
CHAPTER THIRTY

For the first time in days, my stomach isn't empty. But eating wasn't the main focus of the gathering I had with my friends this evening. The topic was heavy. Revenge usually is.

I practically fall through the door leading to the room I rented after finally managing to lug myself up the single flight of stairs. Alec and Josie have their own rooms just down the hall of the inn, but being apart from them has me unseasy. I want them close in case there's trouble.

Locking the door behind me, I glance around the cozy room and fling my boots off, enjoying the feel of my bare feet against the cold, wood floors. I stalk into the bathroom, shutting the door. The tub is small, but looks clean enough.

I crank the faucet on high and strip down. The air is cool and instantly chills my bare skin as I slip in, letting the water consume me. It's not as warm as I would like, but for a Serf tub, it isn't half bad. I pour the bottle of green soap into the liquid, feeling the suds effervesce into thick foam as I rest my head on the rim of the tub and close my eyes. The relaxation takes over.

**********

There is not much variation in the days that pass. We all reside in the same, run down inn and spend the days helping East Ageon recover from the attacks. The three of us have been cautious, keeping our hoods up and heads down. We have this routine of eating meals together in Josie's room. Like we are now.

Awkward silence is something we've mastered. So I'm startled when Josie speaks up, "I'm leaving," she says. "To find a friend of mine at my family's vacation home, on Temple Mountain." She takes a sip from her bottle of water.

Alec's gaze snaps up, his face contoured in the dim light. "The one who ran away?"

"I got word from my birds. She is at the cabin. I'm bringing her here. It's not a far trip, just a day's run into the woods. I'll take a horse—instead of a car—to avoid being tracked."

I shake my head in protest. "It's not a good idea to go alone. Let us come with you."

"I have to do this by myself. Celeste needs help in the hospital. Plus, look at East Ageon," she says, gesturing to this filthy inn. "The Serfs shouldn't have to repair the damage to their town by themselves."

"Josie, it's not safe—" Alec starts.

She chuckles. "I'm more worried about you two. How will you survive without me?"

Alec lazily runs a hand through the waves of his hair, leaning back in his seat with a sigh.

We both know that there is no point in arguing with the princess. She's going.

I help Josie pack her bag with necessities.

We've all gotten closer throughout this week and the thought of separating is terrifying. Alec and I both embrace her and watch as she sets off on a borrowed horse.

I try not to worry. Josie is smart. I won't lose another friend. Not today.

**********

There is this singular nightmare that I have each night. It always leaves me soaked in sweat and drowning in tears as I wake. When I close my eyes I see myself standing in a tight room with walls of stone and an iron door. A cell. I feel my power clawing its way out of me, more intense than I have ever felt it before. To the point where I have absolutely no control.

People start marching into the cell. Faces of people I know. In my sleep I beg for them to leave, to run and lock me in. I strain to hold on, breaking every nerve in my body just to keep them alive. But each nightmare ends the same way. With my power killing them all.