Chapter 26

WARNING: This chapter contains subjects that may be triggering for some individuals. Such subjects include but are not limited to: violence and gore.

ALEC
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

I can see the bone. I can taste the pain. It's like a physical being now. Horridly sharp, unpleasantly overwhelming, continuously throbbing, gut twisting, stomach wrenching.

Josephine is using all of her strength to keep me from falling over as we fight our way through the halls. I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure Elle is okay. Her face is pale, probably paler than mine. Her eyes are wide and glazed over as she scans every corner and direction. Her back and neck are dripping with blood and the thought alone is enough to tear me apart. But she doesn't seem to notice the pain and has little trouble keeping pace with us.

"This doesn't make sense," Josie huffs, shifting more of my weight onto her shoulders.

I feel ridiculous. It's my arm that is injured not my legs, but I need her support more than I'd like to admit. Every step becomes harder than the last and my vision spots as crimson continues to rain from the giant gash in my upper shoulder.

"What doesn't make sense?" Elle murmurs, jerking her head around as she makes an effort to scan for threats.

Josie pauses to rip off her heels, chucking them into the pot of a lovely fern plant, sitting idly in the corner. "Why is no one coming after us?"

I tense, my muscles straining as I speak. "I'm sure everyone is occupied with the razor-beaked birds you let loose." My voice is barely recognizable.

Elle's hands find my face, cupping my sweaty cheeks in between her palms. Her eyes, a striking shade of grey, are darkened with fear and adrenaline. "Stop talking. You're just wasting energy."

"I'm fine, sweetheart." The words sound more breathless than they were supposed to.

Josie pulls me along towards a back stairwell, guiding me down the steps. It's hard to mind my footing when my head spins so ferociously, and I manage to trip over my feet multiple times throughout our hurried descent. We bust through a door at the bottom and I am nearly blinded by the bright glow of the sunset. But it doesn't take much to see the terror unfolding before me.

A wall of soldiers surrounds the entirety of the palace. Each one decked in fine black armor that I recognize instantly. It's indestructible. Known as immortal steel. The material was recently fabricated in the depths of Usleraun, the most technologically advanced out of all the kingdoms.

"My Gods," Josie mutters, eyes wide in panic.

The hundreds of soldiers aim their guns at the three of us, ready to fire. Why they need so many people to take us down is beyond me.
One of them comes forward, a megaphone in his hand, riding a large black stallion. It doesn't take long for me to recognize the man. General Cane holds the megaphone to his face and clears his throat before speaking.

"E2456, come peacefully and we will let the prince and the princess go."

They don't want Josie and I. They just want Elle. I gather my voice in my chest before speaking, using most of my strength to make these words heard over the large crowd of men. "You're not taking her."

Cane laughs and the sound is enough to rattle my core. I know what he's done to Elle. I know how he is partially responsible for raising her, criticizing her, treating her poorly her entire life. I would burn him alive if my lightning would allow it, but I can't muster enough power at the moment.

"This is most interesting, I assure you. A Northland prince fighting for a lowly Serf hybrid." He cocks his gun, the clicking sound echoing over the vast palace grounds. I bite my tongue to keep from charging at this beastly man and force myself to remain quiet as he continues. "I never thought I'd live to see the day that King Titus's prodigy son found himself at the wrong end of the battle."