12 - Happy Birthday

Eara had been anticipating Aiden's growth greeting for her. After all, it was the 67th of the late summer season. It was 'the day of growth,' as what people of this world call it. That day was her birthday.

On the first birthdays they had as people stuck in the forest, none of them paid attention to the date. Because of that, they both missed the other's birthdays.

She once subtly asked Aiden about his birthday, and she discovered that his birthday was the 1st of the late summer. She tried to give Aiden a few gifts for his day of growth, but he wasn't exactly elated. 

'I forgot about the date.' She remembered him saying while scratching his head after she gave her growth greeting.

While she was giving him gifts too, he didn't show much of a reaction apart from grinning and thanking her. Though all she could give him was some spells she developed, non-renewable stuff she specifically wanted to surprise Aiden with, and even ranger combat techniques.

The day after that, she was pretty peeved. She wanted to surprise Aiden, but she couldn't.

Aiden was the type of person who'd love to have exhilarating events on special occasions, instead of just giving gifts away. That was why even though he was happy that Eara took the time and effort to bring him gifts, it wasn't something that could make him feel anywhere near the top of the world.

However, Eara was still expecting Aiden to return the favor. Unfortunately for her, Aiden was going to take his time in teasing the birthday girl.

"What's on the menu today?" Aiden muttered in a somehow jolly tone after entering the house.

"Bacon and eggs over rice." Eara answered immediately while she was plating their breakfast.

"That's perfect."

Aiden headed towards the dining area and made himself comfortable on one of the seats. As for Eara, she silently served the food and drinks to the table before sitting as well.

"Let's eat." She nodded at Aiden, and he returned it. "Let's."

As the two began eating, Eara subtly observed Aiden from across the table. Her general instincts were reliable, and it was telling her that Aiden was being his usual self.

'He . . .  He doesn't remember . . .' She thought, doing her best to wear a pokerface. Still, her disappoint was immeasurable and her day was ruined. Eara couldn't help but start frowning, and the only thing she could to prevent it was to bite her lip.

'Pff--hahahaha!' Aiden was dying of laughter deep inside. Her slight changes in expression wasn't able to escape Aiden's attention. 'For some reason, I'm doing an impossibly perfect job of keeping a straight face. Ah, but well, that's just noice!'

"Hm?" Acting perfectly, Aiden raised an eyebrow as he looked her in the eye.

Eara shook her head faintly before resuming her meal.

'This is too fr*cking cute and hilarious.'

After a few moments, Aiden forced himself to calm down. He wasn't sure he'd be able to keep his outward coolness until later that day if he was laughing too much in his head.

Still, he's got a few more ways to tease Eara up his sleeve. 'Ah, this is seriously the best.'

Aiden finished his meal a little bit faster than Eara, so he prepared to launch his next attack.

"Oh--!" Aiden clapped his hands together as if he just realized something.

Eara's hands that held eating utensils stopped moving as her eyes widened ever-so-slightly. Aiden imagined that if she had cat-ears and a tail, that would be the moment where her ears would perk up and her tail would start swinging from side to side.