53 - Cuffs and Hostages

Okay, so, it turns out, I had written this chapter months ago and forgot to upload it. Here it is.

---

"She's definitely done for good." One of the scholarly-looking henchmen smirked. "Just listen to such unsettling growls-- a pity we can't have her as a slave."

The female leader snarked. "You are an idiot! Have you ever heard of mauler hounds growling before?!"

She looked at the masked young lady, standing unfazed by the beast more than triple her size. Hunters were known for many things. They moved swift, they were powerful, and they thrived in nature. They were the kings and queens of the wilderness, and everything wild could be turned tame in their hands.

The female leader bit her lip and then added, "Let's hurry up and go. We have no idea what she's capable of."

The moment they turned their heels and ran, Eara stopped idling and dashed at full speed towards them. Coating herself with nullifying mana to weaken the barrier, she crashed into it, shattering it like glass against wrecking ball. Without stopping, she closed in on the three merchants scurrying away with all their might. The one with the ruined face had been left behind, unable to do much without his sight. But perhaps, he awaited a better fate than those that were currently being chased.

The female leader panicked upon seeing the hunter rapidly catching up to them, and she ended up using one flash cast scroll in her storage trinket, disregarding the channelling time and motion input of a spell.

"Earth Fist!"

Without delay, a portion of the floor shot up and sealed Eara's path once again. However, this much was going to delay Eara ten seconds at most. With a flick of her wrist, Eara created created a hollow area at the center of the huge block of earth, before filling it with gunpowder.

The next instant, the whole corridor shook as the block of Earth was blasted into pieces.

Eara stepped over the rubble and saw another block of Earth blocking her path. Slightly annoyed, she quickly did the same thing with the previous obstacle. But after stepping over the rubble once again, was another block of Earth.

Eara clicked her tongue and blasted this obstacle into pieces.

For the fleeing merchants, the consecutive explosions were nothing short of terrifying. If they could grow more legs, they would definitely have done so already.

Eara knew that the merchants had distanced themselves already, so she didn't hesitate and drove pulse maneuver to the max after turning around the corner.

The merchants were running through the corridors close to the slave cells, trying to ignore the fresh bodies that were once their subordinates as they ran. Seeing that the hunter was already back on their tail, the female leader's mind ran on overdrive in desperation. Time slowed considerably for her as she listed out all the spells in her arsenal that she could use to prolong her life.

No matter how many times she looked at her spell arsenal, however, she always came at one conclusion.

It was futile.

Her end was going to happen here, in this long corridor, viewed by all the people that she was treating like merchandise. She swept her eyes at all the people in their cells, huddled because of lack of space.

Would they laugh at her in her final moments? Probably. She sort of wanted that to happen. She wanted to see the rage of all these people in collective form.

Her gaze soon landed on a young girl, crying as she covered her ears, terrified by the explosions earlier. The little girl was right at the door of the cell.