(xxii) girlfriend

"with how dramatic the confession was, i really expected that our first date would be more interesting", kuroo remarked, narrowing his eyes at the girl beside him.

y/n was turning a page in her textbook as they sat in his room, her face resting in the palm of her hand as she focused.

"with all the drama going on, i haven't had the time or energy to study for finals", she sighed, "so you have to keep me company, captain"

a study date. the idea sounds cute and endearing but it was frustrating to kuroo, who always took double the time his date did to solve questions.

of course he got them correct, but it was frustrating how he was losing the competition.

y/n was more concerned about the fact that he was wearing reading glasses. kuroo looked good in glasses. he really pulled off the whole hot nerd thing well.

"you know, 'study dates' are usually just a code word for fucking", the boy enticed, "no one actually studies"

and she was clearly offended, but she smirked anyway.

"captain, if i wanted to fuck you right now...", she leaned in, staring shamelessly at his lips and skimming her fingers over his jaw, "do you really think i'd say it in code words?"

he was about to lean in to kiss her when she pulled away just as quickly, going back to studying in a frustratingly unaffected manner.

it was insane how he got so affected so quickly. he rolled his eyes as he picked up his pen again, solving the next question.

"what answer did you get for the 46th?", she asked, "i think the answer at the back is wrong"

"wait, i'm solving it now", he answered, hurrying through the calculations

she watched him in amusement until he nodded, flipping pages to check the answer key.

"no it's correct", he shook his head, "the answer's... 69"

she snorted, nodding as she looked at him.

"are you hinting at something captain?", she made innocent eyes at him, as if she was completely oblivious of his thoughts

"i'm game if you are", he winked

"oh?", she tilted her head, "so you're into that?"

"i don't know, it'd probably be hot", he shrugged, "i wanna actually try it before i form an opinion"

"some other time", she shrugged rather dismissively

"are you holding back from sleeping with me?", kuroo asked, confused by her rejection of his advances

"not really", she shook her head, pausing for a few seconds to articulate how she felt, "but... if i'm gonna date you for real, i don't want it to be just about the sex"

"it's not", he said immediately, getting where she was coming from, "i promise it's not. even though you're the best i've ever had, it's not about the sex. i don't just... throw around words."

that's right, he'd said he loved her.

she hadn't said it back so far and he hadn't brought it up again but he meant it. he had no intention of rushing her. it would obviously be better if she said she loved him when it was how she truly felt.

"good", she nodded, smiling. he thought her smile was an underrated feature of her face. it was so pretty.

"this is boring", he pouted, looking back down at his textbook, "can we do something else?"