four

Mark was the one who drove Haerim to work, entering the Seoul 127 building together, being met with the receptionist and now heading to their individual offices.

Haerim was mostly typing away on her computer, responding to emails, scheduling her meetings.

NCT was a fashion modeling company that had a huge marketing team to determine which moves were the best for the future of the company. Haerim was well aware that Dream was in Busan and WayV in Shanghai, given the information by Taeyong.

A door knocked, allowing Haerim to call come in. She watched as the girl she met this morning, Jung Jaeah coming through the door.

"How was your first day of work so far? Easy? Hard?" Jaeah asked Haerim.

"It's not too bad so far." Haerim ruffled her skirt, keeping a smile on her face as she tried to get rid of last night's events from her mind. "Having my own office is really nice. Gives a lot of privacy."

"Absolutely. Glad you like it here. Welcome to the team Haerim." Jaeah smiled at Haerim.

"Thanks Jaeah." Haerim responded with Jaeah leaving the room.

-

Doyoung was walking around the building as he noticed there was a new member in the building, a small petite girl walking across the hall. When he was able to get her face though, his eyes widened recalling last night's event.

She was the girl that I gave my ice cream to at the convenient store.

Sure, he would be a good man and ask what's wrong, but he didn't know who the girl was. Knowing that she works in the building now makes Doyoung's stomach churn through the awkwardness as their encounter was pretty dry.

Doyoung felt an arm wrapped around his shoulder with Johnny next to him. "Checking out the new girl huh?"

Doyoung's trail of thoughts stopped with Johnny's remark. "What? No? I was trying to remember what work I'm supposed to do today."

"Sure sure. Heard she's pretty cute though if you're ever looking to-" Johnny teased Doyoung.

"Oh my gosh hyung, stop it." Doyoung walked away from him, trying to go back into his office.

Doyoung was typing his way in his office, working until Taeyong came into the door, inviting himself in.

"What do you need?" Doyoung politely asked Taeyong.

"Taeyang from the SF9 company called me and asked if he can join the NCT chain. Problem is, it's risky because they don't have a good business history. We can always help them out or strengthen the chain, but we won't know the outcome. Just wanted to bring the suggestion up to you." Taeyong told Doyoung.

"Honestly, you can ask around everyone else for it. It's your decision at the end after all." Doyoung shrugged it off.

Taeyong sighed at Doyoung's attitude, knowing that he wasn't in his best state of mind.

"I know this is hard but you need to move on from Minseo somehow. I don't want to let her get in the way of your business decision making. What she did was wrong and I don't stand by it, but this shouldn't dwell on you forever. I'm saying this as your boss and friend." Taeyong gave Doyoung a piece of his advice.

Doyoung smiled through the advice-giving, looking up towards Taeyong. "Thanks hyung, it really means a lot."

"Anytime." Taeyong walked out of the Doyoung's office.

Doyoung was headed for his lunch break, he saw Jungwoo and Jaehyun sitting together as he sat along with them, having rants about how stupid work is.

Later, a girl came into the lunch seating area, hearing Jungwoo calling her out. "Hey Haerim, do you want to sit with us?"

Doyoung looked at Haerim's expression knowing that she was hiding under a mask showing a polite smile.

"No thanks Jungwoo, I'll join next time." Haerim responded as Jungwoo and Jaehyun cooed with their sad faces, knowing that there is a next time.

Doyoung watched Haerim sit at a table alone, drowning in her thoughts as if she was bothered by something.

I wonder what's wrong with her.

-

Mark was driving Haerim home with the girl looking outside. He was starting to get concerned for his cousin since she felt a little bit out of it. Haerim was typically a bubbly person in his eyes, but he figured that he didn't know her well enough to know what she is going through. And his plan is to get closer.

"Haerim, how was the first day of work?" Mark asked the girl with eyes still on the road.

"Pretty good. Not too shabby. You?" Haerim replied to Mark.

"It was good at usual." Mark responded.

Silence filled the air once more.

"Haerim?" Mark asked as Haerim hummed in response. "Is there something wrong?"

"Honestly, too many things." Haerim sat up on the passenger seat as she was ready to rant to her cousin. "I'm getting closer to you so I might as well."

"Shoot." Mark indicated her to spill the beans.

"I was dating this guy named Nick Kim back in America. I found out that he cheated on me with another girl for 2 years and yesterday my best friend Lily had told me that he sexually assaulted her. Obviously I was mad that happened since he knew I was friends with her, but I question the intent behind Nick and I's relationship in the first place." Haerim ranted to Mark. "With Lily, according to her it was because Nick threatened her that if she didn't tell him where I was he would do something to her."

"What did you think the intent was?" Mark asked Haerim.

"I've never had sex before in my life because I'm young and not ready for it. But the thing that get s me is that if Nick was a sexually active person and has been cheating on me for two years, he probably had other affairs that satisfy his sexual needs while I couldn't do that for him." Haerim rambled on sighing at her final thoughts. "Was I an object in the first place?"

Mark attentively listened to his cousin's words, knowing how messy the situation is. He patted her on the shoulder. "I'm really thankful that you shared this to me. My mouth is sealed, but just so you know if you ever need anything, I'm always her for you. And besides, who needs Nick anyways. I hope your friend is okay though."

"She is, don't worry." Haerim calmly responded to him. "How about you? Have you had any love stories?"

"Honestly, no. I haven't had time to find a girlfriend since I've moved her. I've went on a few dates here and there, but none of them have appeal to me." Mark responded. "But if I had the chance to love someone, I would cherish them with all my heart."

"That's good for you Mark..." Haerim trailed off, hearing Mark's response.

"What about you Haerim?" Mark asked.

"I don't know honestly... After the Nick situation I just don't know." Haerim told Mark. "If I were given another opportunity, I don't know how I would handle the situation or cope with it. It's just confusing."

"Do you believe in love Haerim?" Mark firmly asked Haerim the question as Mark parked the car in the parking garage of their apartment complex.

Haerim sighed as this was the one question she would want to avoid at all costs.

"The problem is, I don't believe in love."

-

me too sis, me too

Rewritten: February 24, 2022