☂ Chapter Thirteen ☂

I'm not going to lie, I've been putting off uplaoding this story because it just hurts.

This chapter is dedicated to Gabby for practically listening to me sob over the phone about how hard this story is for me and for encouraging me to never give up. I love you and thank you for always being there for me :)

Evie’s P.O.V

Beep Beep Beep.

“Come on Meg,” I begged. “Just one breath to let us know you’re all right, just one-“ my voice cracked as I fought back the tears that were burning at the back of my throat. “Please, Meg?”

But she didn’t listen to me. Her limp lifeless body had been lying there for hours and she wouldn’t open her eyes. Not for me, not for Noah, not for the doctors, not for anybody.

She wasn’t dead.

Meghan was not fucking dead.

Best friends just don’t leave each other; the first promise we’d made to each other when we became friends was to never leave the other, to stick by each other through the thick and thin. She had to keep that promise, she’d sworn by it.

Beep Beep Beep.

The monitor was mocking me; beeping and blinking constantly and the tight string which held me together, finally snapped, just like that and the next thing I knew I was screaming and yelling, jostling her lifeless body, tears burning down my face like salt on a wound and I was asking her to wake up, because I wanted to see her, I wanted to talk to her, I wanted to tell her that things would be alright, because they would, because no matter what life threw at you everybody had a bright future ahead of them and it was your choice to make sure that you made the right decisions, chose the right path and your future would be bright. It was as simple as that and we’d help her, we’d all stay up with her every night and help her choose the right path if we had too.

How could she just be gone?

How can somebody just leave?

Hadn’t she once thought about me? Didn’t she once think about anybody else and what we were would go through? How could you just leave and never come back? How could she do that? My best friend – how could she?

She had to wake up so that she could learn from her mistakes. So that she knew that I was always hear for her, but goddamn it I thought she already knew that. I would help her, Noah would help her, Cole would help her. We’d all help her be happy, help her stay strong, help her stay positive so that we’d never ever be in this situation again.

“Babe-“ Noah’s voice’s broke, as he tore me away from Meghan. He grabbed my hands clenched into tight fists kissing them all over, shushing me, telling me things would be all right, But would they really? My hope was fading, vanishing, disappearing.

The memories came flooding back, “Get away from me,” I hissed, extending my arms to shove his chest back as far as I could. “Don’t touch me,” I threatened, waving a finger in his face warningly.

He flinched at my tone, racking his fingers through his hair apologetically. His expression was dark, his eyes so cloudy it wasn’t possible to figure out what he was thinking. “You never even gave me the chance to explain!” he whispered, his eyes softening along side his voice, his posture deflated as he looked at me longingly.

“Explain what?” I hissed, wiping my tears away angrily with the back of my hand. My heart was throbbing, throbbing, throbbing, because I loved him to death, because this was the first time we’d ever argued because he was my everything and I couldn’t let him go.