Ever Since New York

October 10th, 2020

Shit. We're late. Again !

I jump out of bed and hit my foot on the hotel's -very solid- night stand. Again...

Third time in three days, I think I'm working on a new world record here.

"What's with all this noise?" I hear a familiar voice asking from the bathroom.

My best friend walks out, casually brushing his teeth as if we weren't running late. I mean...technically, I'm the one who woke up thirty seconds ago, so I can't really blame him for brushing his teeth.

"Um...we're late Tommy ! We are so late and we are sooo screwed if we get there late, come on let's go !" I urge him, throwing on some random clothes from my open suitcase that has been laying on the floor of our hotel room since we arrived, three days ago. In my defense, we're only staying for a week, so I don't think that emptying my suitcase just to pack it back up in a few days is really necessary. Plus I really hate packing up.

"Oh baby, YOU are late, I'm not going anywhere today, I am on my tourist mode and nothing is going to change that" he answers, walking back to the bathroom to spit out the toothpaste.

"Are you serious Tom? You're not coming?" I ask him, refusing to believe what he just said "Today could be a huge turning point in your career, and you're telling me that you're not going cause you're on tourist mode ? What does that even mean Tom?"

"It's New York, baby, how do you expect me to just attend meetings and shoot with this or that photographer all day? I need to walk these streets, I need to explore, I need to taste all the delicious food that you find at every corner! You know, just... live a bit !" he answers, throwing a large sweater on.

He's very serious. He's in trouble. Actually, no. I'm in trouble.

"Tommy, seriously, you can't do that to me, they want to work with you, they really want to, but if you don't show up, you're just gonna blow it all off ! I'm sorry, I can't let you do that, you know we'll have the two last days to visit New York, and that's way enough. Don't make me call them to reschedule something, cause I'm not doing it this time." I snap a little, hoping that it might make him change his mind.

"Listen, Star, you know I love you, and you know I'm aware that I am the luckiest person on the planet because you're my best friend, and you take care of me, and you get me the best jobs, with the best photographers, and you always manage something when I can't go-"

"-when you don't want to go" I correct him.

"-when I don't want to go, okay, if you want to put it like that. My point is : it's okay, Star. Really, it is. And if they don't want to work with us anymore after today, so be it ! That means they weren't good people to begin with." he says and I sigh. "Now, listen, you're gonna call them, and say that I'm...very tired cause I couldn't sleep last night because of how thrilled I was to do this shoot today with them, it's gonna flatter their ego, they're gonna love it, and WE are going to go explore New York City and have a bit of fun, alright?" He tells me with a soft smile, holding both of my hands.

"I hate you, Tom. I hope you know this. This is the last time you cancel something so important at the last minute. Do you hear me? You will be calling them next time you suddenly wanna 'have a bit of fun' on a work day, today's the last time I'm doing it for you" I pull my hands from him, grab my phone and sit back on the bed, still half dressed. I bring the phone to my ear, trying to concentrate to sound, at least, a bit truthful.

"You got this, I love you!" he whispers, giving me two thumbs up.

I roll my eyes and answer him with a very well executed middle finger. He laughs and starts lacing his shoes.