Patrick "Rick" James

Annabeth Chase and Patrick James walked out of campus together. They sat down on the closest bench and opened their books again. Annabeth flipped through her notebook. "Rick! I found it. Here, look." Annabeth looked up when she heard her name shouted across the road. "I've got to go. That's Percy. You should come meet him."

The business students picked up their belongings and walked up to the Prius. "Hey, Annabeth! How was your day?" The driver said, Rick assumed he was Percy.

"It was good. Percy, this is Rick. Rick, this is my boyfriend, Percy. And Piper's in the back there. Hiding from the college students, Pipes? I'll see you tomorrow!" With that, she got into the passenger seat and kissed Percy on the check. Annabeth waved at Rick as they pulled away. Now, the thing is, Rick really didn't like that. Seeing them kiss left a nasty taste in Rick's mouth. When Percy greeted him with a smile, it set his teeth on edge.

Which is why two days after meeting Percy, Rick brought up some of his concerns with Annabeth. "Annabeth, I'm concerned about your boyfriend," he told her before the lecture began.

"And what do you mean by that?"

"Jackson's got a criminal record and he's never done well in school. Really, he's just putting you in danger with his track record of... 'accidents'" Rick even did air quotes. "I just want the best for you, as your friend. He's holding you back and I'm quite worried about how it'll affect your chances of starting that dream business of yours."

"I'm aware of his record, and of the actual contextes to every accident. No air quotes there, Patrick." She said his actual name. Oh, this was either going to be serious and go well, or be serious and go horribly wrong. "Trust me, he's a great guy. I was no more in danger after we started dating as beforehand. I get that you're worried, but it's not needed. Now, I need to get ready for class."

She didn't talk to him for the rest of class and left with her head strategically turned away from him.

It was the following Saturday that Rick knew exactly how he was going to go about proving his concerns. The frat house was pulsing with music and it was crowded as hell. Rick was uncomfortable, but he was just a scrawny, nerdy senior standing in the living room. The fact that he was a senior and that he knew Annabeth Chase, his saving grace from being picked on the past year, were probably the only reasons he had been invited.

Annabeth was in the backyard of the house with her boyfriend. He watched through the window as Percy stood up and walked inside after saying something to her. Percy walked right by Rick without realizing it into the kitchen. Rick watched Percy fill up a red solo cup in the sink. Another girl, a vibrant redhead with paint all over her and a paintbrush tucked behind her ear, touched Percy on his arm to get his attention. Rick had been part of enough conversations with his dad about how to manage a love life to know that most girls considered that to be flirting and hated it. It confirmed Rick's suspicions. The redhead rolled her eyes dramatically at something Percy said. Percy gave the girl the cup he had filled up and she walked outside to Annabeth. Annabeth accepted the glass without hesitation.

It was then that Rick knew he had to tell Annabeth about it. He knew his bad feeling about Percy Jackson was right. Cheating! She'd dump him for sure and then her chances wouldn't be jeopardized by his record. Of course, there was the added bonus of her then being single. Trust and friendship oftens blossoms into a romantic relationship, Rick was sure of it.

Rick walked outside with purpose. "Can I talk to Annabeth for a moment? Thanks," he said with faked politeness. "Annabeth, hear me out, it's about Percy."

Annabeth groaned. "Are you kidding me?"

"Just listen. He's letting a girl flirt with him, he's cheating." He saw in her eyes that she didn't believe him. Rick pushed ahead. "The redhead who gave you that cup, I'd be cautious about the drink too. You can never be too careful when a girl's clearly jealous."

"You're being ridiculous. I know Rachel and trust her with my life. She wouldn't spike my drink. Percy is loyal, I know that for a fact that he would never cheat on me. Admittingly, once I would have been less sure, but that was before we were even dating. Rick, everything's good. I don't know why you're so adamant about this, but you're wrong. Okay? I'm going back to my friends."

That was the last thing she said to him that night.

In all honesty, Rick should have been expecting what Annabeth said to him the next day. Her glare was unwavering and she didn't let him get a single word in. "Due to your attempts to break up Percy and I, and coming between my friendship with Rachel, it's best for me to break this friendship. Thanks for the past year, but they've been by my side since I was 12 and 15. Goodbye, Patrick. Don't talk to me again." He didn't.

Rick and Annabeth didn't talk to each other for years. He saw new articles all the time about the amazing Annabeth Chase-Jackson and her quickly growing company. So many news outlets and people in general talked about the ethics of the company and the stunning designs and inventions they pushed out.

She was famous and successful, and nothing could hold her back. Not even Percy Jackson and his track record. Rick felt guilty when he became a prestigious marine specialist, but not for long. He wished he could have kept in contact with Annabeth though.

The next time he saw his old friend was at the ten year reunion. He was fresh out of a relationship, and there alone. Annabeth showed up at the exact time the event officially started, just as punctual as she had been in university. She was wearing a pantsuit and held the hand of a boy who was probably five years old. Next to her was Percy Jackson. He was wearing a navy suit and had a second kid on his hip. Rick's jaw dropped at a third kid, clasping the pocket of Annabeth's suit.

Rick took a sip from his drink. He decided to go and talk to Annabeth, meet her kids. "Well, if it isn't Annabeth Chase-Jackson! Who are these three?"

"Patrick James, right? Haven't seen you in ages!" Percy stepped forward and blocked his wife from Rick's view. "Are you here alone? Shame."

Rick was shocked. There was so much sarcasm in that single word, an impossible amount of it. Annabeth stepped up with a smirk and patted Percy's arm. "Now, now. This one is Silena Zoë, she's six," Annabeth said, running a hand over the girl's head. She lifted the hand she was holding, "this is Luke Damasen, and Percy has Charles Iapetus. The boys are twins, four years old."

"Even got middle names!" That could have been smoother, Rick thought.

Percy gave him an unimpressed blink. "It's not exactly uncommon."

Silena giggled. Annabeth's eyes crinkled at her daughter. "Their names all come from people who were really important to us, so we introduce them with said names. We're going to explore a bit, c'mon kids. Bye."

Rick watched them walk away. He stood there, painfully aware of the fact that he was there alone. He hadn't had many friends apart from Annabeth, and she was the only one who attended the reunion. With three kids and a husband, no less! Rick sat at a table with his drink for most of the night. He found himself regretting coming; he could have been at home working for his last client's commission. 

Thank you so much @Elena_Rodriguez2007 for the request!