~The Future Stages of A King

Dad calls me into his office, apparently there is something else he wants to discuss with me.

If it's about him, and his desire for grandchildren. I swear I will officially become psychotic.

I take my seat in the chair, awaiting whatever it his he needs to say while I mentally brace myself.

"Josie." He says, firm and instantly. "As you know in two days the King of the realms, your fiance, and his companions are going back to the Hell's."

I nod. Of course I know. Darby hasn't let me forget it. She has gone on and on about how Jabeth would be leaving and she would never see him again.

I honestly don't know how I feel about that anymore. I know a few days ago, I would've been jumping to the stars and whooping joyous cries to the skies. But after my incident in the garden, jut yesterday. I don't feel as excited about their departure.

Not that I care if they go or not. I just don't feel as joyed as before.

I think back on my words with Jabeth. The look on his face I had seen, was of disgust. But he claimed it to be pity.

But then, when I asked him to go away.. it wasn't pity I saw. I know what I saw, and that was compassion.

He stated he wanted for our relationship to not be so.. strenuous and hostile. Which I guess is a good way to describe it.

He gave some good points. Like it wouldn't benefit the realms if their King and Queen couldn't work together and compromise. It also wouldn't help them. If anything, a friendship would definitely help.

But then again, he said acquaintances. Not friends.

I sigh as my dad continues and I tune into the conversation again. "So me and the King have decided, whether or not it would be best to make the announcement of your engagement public during your birthday ball this weekday."

Oh yeah. My birthday, with all that had been going on this week I had totally forgotten-Wait, make it public?!

My eyes widen. "Well what have you decided?"

He takes a deep breath. "Well.."

Think Josie, think. Think! You gotta stop him.

"I think that making it public might cause an uproar." I blurt out the first thing that comes to mind.

Dad stops in his tracks, quirking a brow at me. "What do you mean?"

I swallow and get up from my chair, and like I always do when making a speech. I start to pace. "Well for one. The hostility between the Heaven's and the Hell's isn't good. They hate each other, as you know so well."

He nods, eyes sad.

I continue. "So, during this time of tension, just blurting out our engagement and starting a truce. Maybe even the thought of forming one whole kingdom, could anger the people. And then, cause them to rebel in either an effort to start a war, tear us apart, or make a statement as if to say 'we won't work with the Fallen, or the Risen'."

Dad bites the inside of his cheek, running a hand under his jaw. "Yes.. I see.."

I take my seat again, breathing out a puff of air and straining smile. "So you see? Going public wouldn't be wise. "

Dad nods. "Okay. Alright. I will talk to the King about this. But in the meanwhile.." He leans forward. "What do you wish for your birthday?"

I snort. Divorce papers?

"Um.. nothing in mind at the moment." I smile innocently.

Dad nods and drums his fingers on the table, his eyes wandering to his watch. "Oh, I'm sorry. But please leave. I have a meeting with his Majesty in only a short bit."