~The Decision.

Jerny and I walk through the garden, a simple moment of friends sharing a nice day. His hands clasped behind his back, we observe the scenery around us. "So, what shall you do about your fiance?"

I turn to look at him. "Huh?"

He quirks the side of his mouth. "You are just going to let him be?"

I widen my eyes and bob his head, as if the answer is clear. "Yes."

"Josie.." Jerny scolds me, his gaze disapproving. It has been a week and a day since Jabeth's departure, and everything has gone to normal.

If you don't count the amount of reproachment I get. It's as if everyone expects me to make some big move. I don't know what they are thinking, but I am happy to stay here in the Heavens.

"What?" I ask.

Jerny just shakes his head. "Josie, may I remind you that Jabeth reached out to you?"

I blink. "When?"

"Josie!"

"Okay!.." I huff. When I was crying in the garden, yes, but what does that have to do with anything? "And?"

"And? You should go do the same." Jerny juts his chin southward, to the bridge..

I chuckle, and eventually I snort. "Jerny.. I never knew you could be so humorous." But when my laughter dies, he looks dead serious. Of all people, Jerny couldn't be insinuating..

Of course he is. "Jerny!" I swat at his arm, but he's unfazed. "What?"

"Jerny, wandering beyond the border-"

"Shh!" He hushes me. My voice echoes in the palace gardens, and most likely someone would hear. I wouldn't want either of us to get in trouble.

"Wandering beyond the border is illegal!" Have you ever screeched while you whispered? Well I am.

Jerny rolls his eyes. "You are already reading a book on Chalcedony. And besides, the Council supports your relationship with his Highness, so wouldn't they be happy, you trying to be closer?"

It's sometime scary how optimistic Jerny can be. "But-"

"Ahah." He stops me. "I can help you. But think about it, it would bring you both closer."

"Not if they bring me back." I slump.

Jerny furrows his brow before snapping his fingers. "They won't."

I look up at him. "How do you know?"

"I became close with Mr. Plume, the King's enchanter. I believe he would help us if we asked it of him." Jerny beams.

Plume? Oh, he was that nice guy with Jabeth. His friend who helped clean up my mess of a breakfast I made. I had even bowed to him out of respect. "I remember him."

"He could help get you in,a nd he could help keep you hidden." Jerny smiles. "When, and if your father notices you're missing, I can cover for you." He winks at me.

I sigh. "What about Jabeth? I'm sure he would bring me back. Also he made it clear he wanted an acquaintanceship, not a friendship."

Jerny furrows his brow. "You cannot settle for less, Josie. You never have. Don't start now. Become friends, it will be more beneficial for the future of the realms."

I sigh and look at my feet, feeling defeated. He makes many good points, but the idea of me, going into the Hell's? "Would you come with me?"

Jerny shakes his head. "If I leave, who will cover you? Also it will look more suspicious if the enchanter and the King's daughter are missing."