eighteen

ANNA

When my eyes opened up the next morning, I could feel burning from the night before. I needed some eye drops.

Hannah and I were still sitting on the floor. Her arms were wrapped around me and her head was leaning back against the wall as she took slow shallow breaths.

I started to separate from her making her wake up.

"Oh, hey." She said with a raspy voice. "How are you?"

"I'm okay. My eyes and head hurt like a bitch." I said rubbing my temple.

"You need to start seeing your psychiatrist again." She brought up.

I sighed knowing she was right. But the problem was I didn't have the money to continuously go visit. I had health insurance but once I turned eighteen I didn't have it anymore, so I never went afterwards and my medication slowly just ran out.

"I can't." I mumbled.

"Why? I hate seeing you like that. I thought I was going to lose you again when I seen the pills in the sink. I mean the only thing I can think of doing is putting you in a psych ward!" She started to stand up and groaned, putting her hand on her neck but quickly went back to yelling at me. "I've almost lost you so many times I can't even count!"

I put my head in my hands and sighed. "I can't afford it."

I looked up at her for a second to see her eyebrows were furrowed and she was stumbling over her words, then I looked back down.

"I can pay for it, I will spend all my money until I know you're okay." She paused and leaned down to me. "Let me pay for it."

I shook my head. "I can't take your money."

She grunted. "Well it's that or a psych ward."

"You can't put me in a psych ward. You aren't my mom." I said, this time looking at her.

"I care about you, all I want is for you to finally be happy again."

"I know, Hannah." I groaned. "Just let me think about it, please."

She scanned my face for a second, thinking of an answer. Then she took a breath and nodded.

"Fine. Don't take too long, please." She said then stood back up and left the bathroom.

After a minute if thinking of our conversation, I stood up feeling the kink in my neck from laying on the uncomfortable floor then turned to the medicine cabinet, grabbing a couple ibuprofen then tossing them back with a quick sip of tap water from the sink.

While I was at it I cleaned up the pills, that didn't fall down the drain and put them back into the plastic bottle before placing it back into the medicine cabinet where it belongs.

"Wake up, Anna. Please."

"Why did you do this?"

His voice rang through my head again, making me wince. Why does this have to happen now?

I shook my head trying to get rid of the thoughts as I made my way down the hall into my bedroom. As I opened the door I heard my phone start to go off, I quickly rushed to it and seen Evan's contact which quickly made me press the green button to answer the call.