Chapter 7: Practice Makes Perfect

LUX BONTERI

"Are you ready?" Ahsoka asked.

They were out again for his Jedi training, and he had improved significantly. Now, she was ready to give him something a little more advanced.

"I'm ready," Lux said.

He put on the blindfold and activated his lightsaber.

His task?

Fend off against seven training remote droids, and deactivate them by deflecting their lasers at them.

Ahsoka opened the crate that contained the training remote, and the droids came online.

Psshht

Psshht

Psshht

From what it sounded like, there were nine of them.

Psshht

Psshht

Psshht

Psshht

From what he could feel, the droids approached and surrounded Lux.

Then, there was a brief moment of silence. Lux knew very well that the droids were about to open fire on him.

Then, it happened.

Peow Peow Peow!

The droids opened fire on Lux.

He quickly dodged a few blasts, and deflected one blaster bolt.

There was the sound of metal clunking and falling to the floor, indicating a droid had been hit and deactivated, turning itself off.

Peow Peow Peow!

Lux deflected two bolts this time. There were two clunks of metal this time, but only one was heard hitting the grass. He had likely just hit the same droid twice.

Peow Peow!

He deflected two more shots, and two droids hit the ground this time.

"Haha!" Lux excalimed.

Peow!

Then, an unlucky shot hit his wrist.

"Agh!" He yelled.

He flinched and dropped his lightsaber.

"Stop!" Lux yelled.

The droids stopped firing at Lux as he took off his blindfold.

His lightsaber was lying deactivated on the floor.

"Darn," he said, picking up his saber.  "Would've been nice to get that one first try."

"It's okay, Lux," Ahsoka said. "I wasn't the best in my class either, and look at me now. And besides, you're advancing much faster than normal. You'll just have to practice, like I did."

"How much will I have to practice?" he asked.

"A lot," Ahsoka replied.

Lux sighed.

"I always looked up to the Jedi when I was a kid, you know," he said. "I never thought I'd actually be one..."

"Lux, you are strong," Ahsoka said. "Never forget that. You have everything you need within you."

Ahsoka and Lux sat next to each other.

"Yeah," Lux said, "but I'll never be as strong as you."

"Not with that attitude, you won't," Ahsoka replied.

The two paused for a moment.

"Say," Lux said, "why do you think the Jedi never found me?"

"I don't know," Ahsoka replied. "Maybe it was the will of the force that I found you instead."

Lux's hand moved over to Ahsoka's belly.

"I wonder how strong our child will be," Lux said.

"They'll be strong," Ahsoka said. "They'll grow up with the two best parents in the galaxy, and they'll help make the galaxy a better place. I know that."

"Oh," Lux said, "they will. And I'll always be beside them."

"No," Ahsoka said. "We will be beside them. My only hope is I don't lose them."

"To the Dark Side?" Lux asked.

"Or wors- actually, nevermind, death is better than the Dark Side."

"You truly think so?" Lux asked.

"Yes," Ahsoka replied. "And you need to think so too, unless you wish to lose yourself. I've met way too many people who have died for someone else. They knew there was a greater good beyond themselves. I'd rather die than join the Empire and turn us all in."

"That is a really good point," Lux replied. "It makes me a lot more comfortable that you'll go to such lengths to protect this."

"I have too," Ahsoka said. "It's the only beacon of light left in the Galaxy."

"Yeah," Lux said. "We were lucky to find this place. Speaking of which, what the kriff is this place!?"

"According to the archives," Ahsoka said, "this system was observed and designated as B-R5RB. Like many systems in this part of the Galaxy, no further observations on the system were made, and nobody could find a hyperlane to it. Not that they ever bothered. The Empire probably doesn't know about this system at all, much less that there are planets orbiting it."

"You said nobody found hyperlanes to here?" Lux asked.

"Yes," Ahsoka replied. "Well, besides me."

"You closed your eyes and pulled a lever," Lux said. "Does that count?"

"Well," Ahsoka replied, "you don't have to be a force-sensitive to get here. With enough time and effort, the Empire could find the route we use. But it's not worth it, venturing this far out into space for such little gain. The only way they'd find us is if they put a tracking device on our ship that could somehow track us through hyperspace and stellar anomalies."

"So we're safe?" Lux asked.

Ahsoka nodded in reply.

"Well that's good to know," he replied, putting his arm around Ahsoka. "We'll have a place to raise our child."

"Oh, Lux," she said, putting her head on his shoulder. "Thank you."

"For what?" He replied.

"For being a good husband, a good Padawan, and soon, a good father."

Lux smiled.

"Then I have to thank you for being a good wife, master, and soon, a mother."