Chapter 12: A Stubborn Decision

AHSOKA TANO

"Master who?" Lux asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Master Luminara Unduli," Ahsoka replied. "She was a Jedi Master. She's alive."

"Was she on the council?" Lux asked.

"Yes," Ahsoka replied.

"Well," Lux replied, getting out of bed. "Does she really want to see you, then?"

"If she got my message," Ahsoka replied. "Every lost Jedi we've picked up so far has gotten it."

"What's so important about her?" Lux asked.

"We're kind of spread thin," Ahsoka said. "Too many Padawans and Younglings, not enough Knights and Maters. Besides, it would be important to have someone of her expertise here."

Ahsoka stretched and got out of bed.

Lux sighed.

"What is it?" Ahsoka asked.

"'Soka..." he said, "I know what you're thinking. We can't go get her."

"What?" Ahsoka replied.

"You're carrying a child, 'Soka," he said. "We can't risk losing them. Or worse, you. You won't be as strong as you normally are."

"Lux," Ahsoka replied, "The Imperials don't know she's there. It'll be easy. Get in there, find her, convince her to come, then get out."

"'Soka," Lux said, "It's not going to be that easy. It's never that easy. Something bad will happen."

"Well," Ahsoka said, "You're kind of right. We can never rule out the possibility that an Inquisitor could show up. But odds are that's not going to happen."

Lux sighed again.

"Ahsoka," he said, staring deeply into her eyes. "Don't do this. Don't put yourself in danger. Don't put your child in danger."

"Are you suggesting we leave her there to be found by the Imperials and killed!?" Ahsoka replied, almost fiercely.

Lux fell silent.

"Lux," Ahsoka continued. "I... I can't just let her die."

"Then... maybe we could send someone else, then," he said. "Like Morra and Eekar."

That was a good point. She could just easily dispatch someone to pick her up, without risking herself, or her child. But she just too eager to help those in need, like Luminara was now. And this was also somewhat personal, as she was Barris's master, and... well, she felt like maybe she should be the one to tell that to her.

"I... I don't know," she said. "I feel like I'm the one who has to do it."

"Why?" Lux asked. "Why you?"

"Because she was Barris's master," Ahsoka replied. "I want to be the one to tell her that. And... I don't know. I just feel like it should be me to go there."

Lux sighed yet again.

"Well," he said, "I... I know when you put your mind to it, you're not going to give up on something so... If you're going, I'm coming with you."

"I would've asked anyways," Ahsoka replied with a smile.