XLII. Capable of Love

• • • •

• • • •

Faith's eyes were red from crying as she stared, solemnly at the burnt body laying on the kitchen floor. She knew Klaus had the same expression, but worse.

It felt like she had a hole in her chest. It felt empty. He was alive only a few minutes before they had come to the house. And now he was lying dead on a kitchen floor. His body, barely even recognizable.

The door creaked open and shut, but the couple didn't move their eyes away from the body.

"Morning, sunshine," Tyler's joyful voice irked Faith. "You look pathetic."

"Only until Bonnie's spell locking us in here wears off, then I'll look different," Klaus replied as he turned around to see Tyler leaning against the doorway of the living room. "Angier perhaps. Or I won't look like anything 'cause I'll gouge your eyeballs from their sockets."

"My friends will be back with the cure then," Tyler smiled. "So I can shove it down your throat and make you mortal."

"I'm an Original," Klaus said with anger. "What makes you think my entire vampire bloodline won't be cured along with me, i.e., you."

"You know what I think?" Tyler remarked.

"That you're a little piece of shit?" Faith countered. "And can't even kill the person who killed his own mother? How pathetic."

Tyler glared at the siphoner as she looked at him with cold eyes. He soon stood up from the wall and smirked. "I think that's impossible. I think the moment he stops being a vampire, our whole blood connection to you is broken and your sire-line ceases to exist. So, whatever happens to you, only happens to you which means I can kill your ass and no else has to die."

"Although I am still debating just how to do it."

Klaus vamp-speed right in front of Tyler causing him to back away at the sudden action. "I recommend drowning," he smirked. "There's nothing quite like the feeling of someone fighting for something as basic as human breath, and let me tell you, your mother was a fighter."

• • • •

The sun had already set as night had fallen and Klaus and Faith were still stuck inside the living room. Faith grew annoyed as her stomach kept growling. She used to be able to go days without eating, and now she was starving from not eating in one day.

"In case you have forgotten," Faith called out to Tyler, who was rummaging through the kitchen. "I'm still considered human by biological standards meaning I need food to survive."

She was only ignored by the hybrid and the siphoner glared at him as she sat on the floor of the living room right at the edge of the invisible barrier. The door was opened by Caroline, who jumped at the sudden crash coming from the kitchen. She saw multiple drawers opened, and silverware and plates broken on the floor. She glanced at the living room to see Faith glaring at Tyler.